Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guarinod Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2012, 04:03 AM
    My son back from iraq
    My son is back from irac he seemed normal at first but now he is on meds and has left our home.. he came home after a week away with no word he stayed 5 min. and left again he screams at us and cusses us and refuses to take any meds.. his national guard unit won't help.. can we have him committed to get some help and who can help
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 24, 2012, 04:32 AM
    Hve you talked to the VA? What does his Physician say? You can't just request that someone be committed - there must be a medical need and that varies by State.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 06:27 AM
    First, I would like to thank him for his service!

Now, how long has he been back? It took both of my sons a while to adjust to civilian life after coming back from Iraq.

As far as having him committed, no you can't unless you can prove that he is a danger to himself or others.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 06:47 AM
    I sat on the porch and did not do much of anything for 6 weeks, except hit the floor every time certain noises were heard. Is he still in service or did he get a discharge ?

Apr 24, 2012, 09:05 AM
    Well the va will do nothing, he is still in the national guard but does not go to drills anymore he just sits in his room talking to himself and now he is getting hostile toward us and leaves for days at a time... I don't know if meds help or hurt but I don't think the answer is in a bottle... he won't go to ubh or anywhere we suggest.. he just says I'm fine

Apr 24, 2012, 09:07 AM
    [QUOTE=guarinod;3095464]well the va will do nothing, he is still in the national guard but does not go to drills anymore he just sits in his room talking to himself and now he is getting hostile toward us and leaves for days at a time... I don't know if meds help or hurt but I don't think the answer is in a bottle... he won't go to ubh or anywhere we suggest.. he just says I'm fine... he just wants to be left alone now he is walking the streets
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 24, 2012, 09:10 AM
    Go see if you can talk to someone at the guard, they may have a way to help force things more. Unless he is a threat to his self or others it is almost impossible to force him to see a doctor or be committed for treatment
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 3, 2012, 11:06 AM
    I'd like to suggest that you not bring up taking his meds at all. Chances are that is one reason why he is out the door so fast. Ask him what he needs and wants but don't hover either. Let him know how happy you are that he's back.
    What he might need is one of the new programs for PTSD (if that's what he has) that combine blood pressure medicine with group therapy. The medicine is given just as the flashbacks start. There is no evidence that psych drugs work, except in conjunction with lots of therapy, and not even then a lot of the time.
    But I take it you don't know if buddies were killed, if he thinks he brought about a buddy's death, if he was exposed to chemicals, or if suffered a lot of fear and trauma in general.
    See if you can find a counselor at his unit or the VA who would come out and talk to you, and to him next time he's around.
    Don't pressure him about any of this though. That's just my unprofessional opinion.
    NDE PTSD Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2012, 07:27 PM
    As a 100% disabled Marine with severe PTSD. I suggest that you leave him alone. Do not force him to change because he has changed. He will never be the same. He views the world differently now and just about everything he believed in has been altered. The more you push him the more he will feel crazy and out of control. There is nothing wrong with him. He is in a primal mode to survive this new environment he finds himself in. Drinking never did me any good after the first 5 beers. I drink to feel and vent and some times cry. The VA does not care because PTSD is a very expensive bill to pay a veteran for the rest of their life. If he will go to a PTSD meeting it will help him but he has to be the one to make that call. When he finds a purpose to live and does not confuse it with THE PURPOSE or HIS PURPOSE in life, help him find JUST A PURPOSE, a job, a volunteer job, something that helps him help others and helps him care about his actions and the harm that his actions can do to others.. Just help him love and care.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plane full of american soldiers going to iraq but land in mexico and think it iraq [ 2 Answers ]

What is the movie called where there is a plane full of american soldiers that are going to iraq but land in mexico and think it iraq?

Deploying to iraq giving my sister my physical custody of my son through a poa [ 2 Answers ]

I am and the Mississippi national guard and I have physical custody of my son. My ex has had a child from another relationship which was takan from her by DHS. She has joint legal custody of my child. The reason the child was taken from her was that they found traces of crystal meth and both her...

Absent mother in iraq custody of son [ 6 Answers ]

I have a weird question! I have a friend that is deploying to iraq she is going through a divorce at the time. If she files the paper work and leaves for iraq can the exhusband take her to court for the custody of the baby? I'm wondering if she leaves after the divorce if the exhusband can try and...

How do I get my son back? [ 4 Answers ]

My 14 year old son went to live with his dad and stepmom in September of last year. Dad lives in Oregon My husband and I live in Washington state. When he left we were all getting along with each other perfectly. I haven't seen him since he left. He is very upset with me now, cause he found...

Back to the Baath party in Iraq? [ 8 Answers ]

The Iraqi Parliament Today passed a bill allowing former officials of Hussein's Baath party to seek reinstatement in the military and civil service. New Iraqi law to reinstate Baathists - UPI.com I believe the Party is the only hope for a united Iraq…Your thoughts?

View more questions Search