Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DennisM16 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Connecting 1 1/2" ABS to 1 1/4" pipe
    Can I trust a flexible fitting to connect 1 1/2" ABS to existing 1 1/4" pipe, which is sold in the retail outlets for a closed wall bathroom drain? Do these flexible connectors with torque down clamps provide durable connections that will last without leaks?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 22, 2007, 01:16 PM
    If you're attempting to connect the trap tail to the wall stubout a better way would be to glue a 1 1/2" compression fitting with a 1 1/2 X1 1/4" nylon gasket,(see image) on the stub out and connect with that. That's how we do it and the compression fitting makes a more ridged connection which means less leaks. Good luck, Tom
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2007, 07:33 PM
    Those flexible connectors you speak of are forbidden for use by all of the plumbing codes adopted in the Continental US.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 23, 2007, 10:13 PM
    Are you connecting this flex to the wall stub or into a trap?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 24, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    are you connecting this flex to the wall stub or into a trap?
    Doug,
    Sounds like he's doing both. Connecting from the wall stubout to the tail of the trap. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Broken Concrete trap "Drainage Pipe" [ 1 Answers ]

I recently bought a house with a unfinished basement bath. I have since decided to finish the bathroom but have ran into a bit of a problem. The previous owners set all of the drains up and I have since found a large hole in the trap of a secondary drain that drains into the main. To explain it...

Tub to Shower 1.5" pipe to 2"pipe [ 6 Answers ]

Shower uses a 2" pipe. Tub used a 1.5 inch pipe. Bought a 2"pipe coupler... using the coupler to attach the new 2" pipe to the old 1.5 inch joint on the 3" main house drain pipe. The coupler has too much play on the 1.5 inch side... almost like it's an 1/8th of a inch smaller than 1.5. What's...

"approved coating" for LPG pipe fittings? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: What are "approved coatings" for buried LPG gas pipe black iron fittings. The code only alludes to approved, but doesn't specify. In the Old days, it was 4 layers of 10-mil pipe wrap. but I'm wondering if there is some sort of liquid coating that can be applied (such as alphalt...

Two parts: moving toilet over 4" and connecting to 4" black plastic to make shower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi friends, I have a concrete slab foundation. In one full bath, I'm changing out the tub to put in a sauna tub, going from 60x30 to 60x32. The toilet is right next to the tub, so I want to move the toilet over at least 4" and change the sink to a pedastal sink to make room for the move for...

View more questions Search