Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pati_looper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2012, 06:04 PM
    In Washington state what is the grace for paying rent. I pay month to month
    I pay month to month and my landlord calls on the 2nd or 3 rd and demands the rent plus a late fee. I thought there was a 5 day grace period am I wrong?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 4, 2012, 06:14 PM
    You are wrong, there is no "grace period" beyond that which the landlord may give you in the rental agreement. Rent that is due on the 1st is late on the 2nd. In fact it is suppose to be paid BEFORE the 1st but no latter. Many landlords allow extra days before charging late fees but there is no requirement.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 4, 2012, 07:24 PM
    Chuck is correct, a LL can allow a grace period if he likes but the rent is due in total on the due date and fees can be attached anytime after that date.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 4, 2012, 07:36 PM
    Why would you delay paying? A month to month landlord can raise your rent, terminate the tenancy with 30 days notice except in certain places, and generally make your life miserable. Anything you heard about days after the first is the days it takes for mail to get to the landlord, but postmarked on or before the lease date.
    A happy landlord gets to pay HIS mortgage on time and not pay huge late fees.
    He will fix things, not raise the rent, and be good to you. Try it!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 4, 2012, 07:37 PM
    From Renting 101: A primer - NWapartments

(Unlike other states, Washington has no law allowing a several-day grace period. Rent is due when it's due.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving in the middle of the month and paying next months rent? [ 3 Answers ]

It is the middle of the month and paid $3000 for move in, now come next month on the 1st i am having to pay the full months rent. Is that illeagal? I mean to pay over $3000 to live in his place for 2 weeks. Doesn't the lanlord have to prorate it?

Month to month lease Do I still have to pay the full month if I move out in 15 days [ 1 Answers ]

I am on month to month lease now. I want to tell them I want to move on the 15 of October. Am I required to pay a full month rent if I don't be there?

This month I was unable to pay my rent this month due to being in the hospital. [ 4 Answers ]

This month I was unable to pay my rent this month du eto being in the hospital. My boyfriend was in and out of the apartment making sure everything was OK. When I came home on the 23rd all of my thingsn had been removed. I asked the lady that lived across the hall if she saw anything when she...

Upstate NY Month to Month lease termination- Prorated rent after 1st of next month? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, As a month to month renter in Rochester, NY (outside the city) with no lease, I gave notice on June 3 that I would be moving out on July 1. My landlord proceeded to tell me that I would be responsible for the ENTIRE month of July's rent, even though my 30 day notice would take me to the...

Notice to terminate month to month in Washington [ 1 Answers ]

Two month ago I signed a month to month rental agreement, the rental agreement stated that the landlord would do no repairs to the house or property. Is this legal? I was already living on the property and they said if I didn't sign it I would have to leave . I have 5 children and no other place to...

View more questions Search