Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hiup2020 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 06:26 PM
    What can you do if your tenant refuses to leave , did not pay rent for one year , and
    Our tenant has not paid rent for almost 1 year we have gave him many notices . We will not report Hume to the board because he could just say that he does not have the money . We own most of the furniture in his apartment and we wanted to start painting the walls there to , he says he will call the cops because he believes this is illegal , what should we do.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 3, 2012, 06:43 PM
    Evict him according to the laws of wherever you are.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 3, 2012, 07:02 PM
    Yes, why have you just not evict him though the courts. But of couse you can paint, you just have to give them notice of when you are going to paint, but I would not do anything till they are evicted.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 3, 2012, 07:37 PM
    If you are going to be a landlord you need to know the rules and the law. I can't believe you have let a tenant stay rent free for a year without learning what to do about it.

You never heard the word "eviction"? Since you didn't tell us where you live we can only generalize. You said you have given him "many notices". Were any in writing? Did any give a specific vacate date? When was the last notice?

Lets assume you have to start from scratch. You give him a 3-15 day pay or quit notice in writing. The number of days depends on local law. The notice tells him to pay all he owes within the # of days or vacate the premises.

If he does neither as soon as the deadline passes, you go to court and file for an eviction order. The court will order a hearing. At the hearing, unless he can come up with a reason not to evic the court will issue an eviction order. If he still isn't out by the date the court orders you hire a sheriff to physically remove him.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2012, 06:10 AM
    Board? Is this in the UK?

And - as has been said - why are you waiting... and what are you waiting for?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How does someone in Florida evict a tenant that refuses to pay rent and refuses to mo [ 1 Answers ]

I have a tenant that is not paying rent in Florida and she refuses to move from my property what can I do? What about landlord and tenants rights in the state of Florida?

My roommate and I signed a lease, he refuses to pay rent but also refuses to leave [ 4 Answers ]

What should I do if my roommate refuses to pay rent/utilities/food but also refuses to leave? His name is on the lease but he did not pay any of the rent or security deposit.

Tenant Refuses to Pay Rent [ 2 Answers ]

My tenant moved in three months ago and has been late on every payment. Now, she is saying that she is not going to pay rent this month because my husband that I am trying to get a divorce from called her and said that she doesn't have to pay rent. I am the sole owner of the property, the...

Tenant refuses to leave (NJ) [ 5 Answers ]

I have a home in New Jersey that contains two apartments, one apartment I live in, the other I rent to a tenant with a month-to-month verbal agreement. I sent them a letter on May 29th through certified mail telling them the agreement will not be renewed and that they have thirty days to vacate the...

Eviction: Handicapped Tenant Refuses to Leave [ 13 Answers ]

One my handicapped tenants, with no legs, and two stubs managed to peck out scathing emails and sent them to Kentucky Housing and HUD, reporting abuse. After the police and social workers interviewed, it was decided she was using this to get attention. After the interviews, she sent another...

View more questions Search