Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    vdmckinney70 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 11:32 AM
    My AC unit will not turn on inside or outside
    Heating unit worked find. But the moment I tried to turn on the AC, it would not come on to even blow hot air
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Apr 3, 2012, 11:49 AM
    Can you run it in heat again. Does it come on?

Can you put the fan from auto to 'on' and get the indoor blower motor to come on?

I

Apr 3, 2012, 12:04 PM
    Thanks for replying... I did try to change it from auto or on and nothing happened. When I get home, I will try to turn on the heat and see what happens..
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Apr 3, 2012, 12:14 PM
    That's OK it pretty much just eliminates a few things.

Dumb question but you probably made sure batteries are changed if it needs them.

Next to eliminate the thermostat take off the face plate and touch the green and red wires together. Does the fan come on now?

If nothing than you can hook them back up to the thermostat and check for a low voltage fuse in the unit that may be popped. Quick vid on what it may look like.

Low voltage fuse/troubleshooting in air handler from thermal-medics.com - YouTube

Apr 3, 2012, 12:33 PM
    Ok. At work now, but will try your suggestions the moment I get home.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 3, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Also, can you let us know if this is a new thermostat, or an existing one that worked fine before?

Apr 3, 2012, 07:03 PM
    This thermostat has been in the house since 2005 when it was built and I moved in. I also tried the heat and it's not coming on now. It was extremely hot so I couldn't cook. Took the kids out to eat. Just getting chance to try suggestions.
    Seann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Hi
    Please check if you have any wire on Rc or not
    If you don't have a wire on Rc then put a jumper bteween R and RC because heat is controlled by R and cool and fan is controlled by Rc, if you have a single transformer system you need to have a jumper between R and Rc for the power
    As your heat is working fine so check for the jumper between R and Rc
    It should work
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Apr 5, 2012, 03:14 PM
    Hi Seann. That's why I asked if this was a new stat or not. Sounds like they have had this stat for years and it worked fine before. Also, if you re-read all the post, you will see that the heat is no longer working now either. It could still be a stat problem (not likely), but the rc rh jumper is pretty much eliminated at this point.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2012, 06:43 PM
    Not kowing how old your system is or what it is, it's a stab in the dark. Most systems will have a blower speed for heating and one for cooling and with some a speed for blower only. The control board along with the call from the thermostat will decide what speed is needed. What I'm getting at is you may have lost the output on the control board for cooling or just lost a blower call from the thermostat. Not knowing if its gas, resistance heating or heatpump makes it hard to say they all have a different blower control.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c Unit fan inside won't run,But Outside Unit works fine. What's the problem? [ 2 Answers ]

The Outside Unit is working fine. The inside Unit fan won't come on and makes a humming noise.

When turn unit on fan won't turn and is hard to turn when unit is off fan will freewhe [ 1 Answers ]

When my ac unit comes on the blower motor won't turn and its like its stuck. But when power is off I can turn the fan easily. Is this the motor or capacitor

Fan does not turn off and water in inside unit [ 2 Answers ]

Carrier unit. The inside unit's fan blows continually even if it is in "auto" position. There is water on the outside doors of the unit and also puddling on the inside equipment. The filter is even wet along with the wood floor underneath this unit. This is also a heating unit. The cooling part...

Compressor and inside unit won't turn on together [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We had a new gas heating/ac unit installed this winter and a new compressor last year. When heater was installed the HVAC guys did the wiring on the thermostat. We went to turn on our AC and can only get the inside unit working and no outside compressor, or the outside compressor,...

View more questions Search