Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smart1109 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 12:17 PM
    I am dating a girl from last 14 months . She had a past .
    She told me about her past in installments . Only after I pushing her to tell me . She gave me the detail info about it when our relation was 1 year old.. Now that I know she told me everything still I fear if that girl could hide something for one year she could very well hide something from me... We patched up though but its always somewhere in my mind . I am really confused ! One one side I love spending time with her cause shez complete and on other hand she hid something from me for 1 year which makes me go nuts.. Please suggest me what to do .
    Stellaw Posts: 171, Reputation: -1

Apr 2, 2012, 07:21 PM
    Your relationship with her will not work out if you won't forget that she lied to you.
    Do you want that? Do you want her to be in your life or not? Appreciate her
    Courage for telling you all about her mistakes in the past. I was in a band before
    And I was the vocalist. My then-girlfriend-now-wife didn't like my work because she was always jealous.
    I told her to trust me and she said she did but she just don't trust all the other
    People when under the influence of alcohol. She said that good girls go bad after
    A couple of tequila shots. She even gets jealous with gays even though she knows that
    She's the one I love. When she goes to my gigs, she would get drunk too and fight with
    Other women who claps or shouts "One more!". She would go berserk seeing Facebook photos
    Of me and other girls on their accounts. The photos were wholesome but she called them
    Names and even got sanctioned for sending threats through text to them.

So, I lied to her and not just once. I lied about going to practices for an album but the
    Truth was I sang at some bar. I lied over and over again. She caught me singing at bars
    A couple of times and I would say sorry and she would forgive me. I told her I was at this
    Place where she can't be able to watch me but the truth was the venue was just minutes away from
    Her house. But I then realized that lying will not make our relationship stronger so I
    Talked to her and made her promise not to fight with other people when I'm singing on stage.

When we got married and lived in the same house, I stopped singing for her and she would still
    Tell me that she forgave me for lying but she can't forget all those times when she would wait
    For me or try to find me at nearby clubs and bars. She was really scarred when I told her all
    About my lies. Even though I have pretty valid reasons for lying but lying is still wrong.

Now, she doesn't show signs of hurt anymore. I think she realized that in order for our relationship
    To work, she must forgive and forget that I lied to her over and over again. I really love her
    That's why I told her the truth. So, Smart1109, I think your girlfriend really cares for you
    Because she told you the truth about her even if she's ashamed about all her mistakes in the
    Past.

Communicating your mistakes to someone really takes courage so try harder to forgive and forget
    That fact that she lied to you for a year if you really love and want her. If you're not
    Too sure, then give yourself some time and be single for awhile and try to heal before
    Getting into a relationship where you just hurt someone. You're hurting her if you show signs
    That you still haven't forgiven and forgotten her lies. She wants understanding from you now
    So try your best.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2012, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smart1109 View Post
    She told me about her past in installments . Only after I pushing her to tell me . She gave me the detail info about it when our relation was 1 year old .. Now that I know she told me everything still I fear if that girl could hide something for one year she could very well hide something from me ... We patched up though but its always somewhere in my mind . I am really confused ! One one side I love spending time with her cause shez complete and on other hand she hid something from me for 1 year which makes me go nuts .. Please suggest me what to do .

I think it depends on what the past was. You can't change where you've been. Some things in people's pasts are not other people's business.

Now - if you lie to your "partner" (wife, husband, girlfriend, boyfriend) when you're IN a relationship, that's cheating, possibly emotional cheating, possibly physical cheating. Could I live with repeated lies told to me by someone I loved and trusted during a relationship? No.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 3, 2012, 07:29 AM
    She told me about her past in installments . Only after I pushing her to tell me . She gave me the detail info about it when our relation was 1 year old.. Now that I know she told me everything still I fear if that girl could hide something for one year she could very well hide something from me... We patched up though but its always somewhere in my mind . I am really confused ! One one side I love spending time with her cause shez complete and on other hand she hid something from me for 1 year which makes me go nuts.. Please suggest me what to do .
    This is going to be harsh. But please keep an open mind and think about it.

Her past is her past and she should have walked away when you started demanding to know what she did before she was involved with you. What gave you the right to push (aka: force) her to tell you anything about what she did who she saw before you?

Do you even acknowledge how controlling your behavior has been and continues to be? Now you are accusing her of hiding things from you for a year causing you to be insecure? You caused your insecurity and confusion. You have pressured her into telling you things that are not your business and you blame her. Why should she stay with you? What have you done to gain her trust after treating her like she was under investigation for a crime?

You accept her as the person she is. You learn to accept that she is her own being with the right to have and share her thoughts when she wants to and not when she is questioned and coerced into telling. If you can't, let her go. She deserves someone who loves and trusts her enough to respect her right to privacy. Someone who is willing to build a foundation of trust and love that encourages her to feel safe to share what she wants to when she feels the time is right.
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2012, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellaw View Post
    ... So, I lied to her and not just once. I lied about going to practices for an album but the truth was I sang at some bar. I lied over and over again. She caught me singing at bars a couple of times and I would say sorry and she would forgive me. I told her I was at this place where she can't be able to watch me but the truth was the venue was just minutes away from her house. But I then realized that lying will not make our relationship stronger so I talked to her and made her promise not to fight with other people when I'm singing on stage.

When we got married and lived in the same house, I stopped singing for her and she would still tell me that she forgave me for lying but she can't forget all those times when she would wait for me or try to find me at nearby clubs and bars. She was really scarred when I told her all
    about my lies. Even though I have pretty valid reasons for lying but lying is still wrong.

Now, she doesn't show signs of hurt anymore. I think she realized that in order for our relationship to work, she must forgive and forget that I lied to her over and over again. I really love her that's why I told her the truth..

I think you told her the truth about lying and lying and lying to her because you got caught. In order for your relationship to work SHE must forgive and forget? How about you need to stop lying... about anything - ?
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Apr 3, 2012, 12:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Stellaw View Post
    Your relationship with her will not work out if you won't forget that she lied to you.
    Do you want that? Do you want her to be in your life or not? Appreciate her
    courage for telling you all about her mistakes in the past.
    I have been doing some more thinking about the question starting this thread and this bit of advice.

It is not lying for a person to not want to share everything about their past. It is a privacy issue. Some people choose to share everything. Others for their own reasons need time to open up and even then still keep some information to themselves. It is their right.

For some people healing from past relationships means putting thoughts of the ex-parters firmly behind them. To think about the memories is to keep the wound open. It also invites the mental 'ghost' of the ex into the current relationship.

It is not the right of the current partner to know everything. If they feel like the past is intruding on the current relationship, they can respectfully ask if there are issues. However, it is not their right to demand answers from someone who doesn't feel comfortable sharing. If the current partner cannot accept their partner's need for patience and time to open up, then they can back off or walk away.

By demanding answers, they run the risk of the other person telling them what they appear to want to hear and that may not be the truth. It may be embellishments to make the person stop asking. That usually only leads to more questions. It is better to walk away instead of 'giving in'. 'Giving in' only feeds the insecurity shown by the current partner. For the current partner, confusion and insecurity come from within. They have to accept that some things are out of their control. If they can't then the relationship probably will not be healthy or survive for very long.

Stellaw brings up lying in the relationship. That is very different from not talking about events that happened before the partners became involved with each other. If a person cannot be open about their comings and goings especially if it is about their work, then there is something wrong. When someone lies about one thing such as where they are going, it leads to questioning how truthful they are about other matters. Some people can work through the lies but many times there is still damage left behind.

People who tell lies to get what they want usually do not stop. They may change from lying about where they are and start making things up in other ways such as to garner attention if they feel like they aren't getting what they need. The liar has to be very careful that they can put the behavior behind them. The partner has to be able to let the damage heal. They have to be able to work together to rebuild the trust.
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2012, 12:45 PM
    I agree, Cat, and this is pretty much what I said (but not as well) in #3 above. I see no connection between not telling a "partner" your life story and lying while in a relationship.

Glad I'm not alone in that.
    smart1109 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 10:10 AM
    Thanks guys ! Your post has been of great help never been this relaxed since long !
    sparks123 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Apr 7, 2012, 09:05 AM
    If its always on your mind that she may be hiding something, then it can ruin your relationship because there isn't fair communication. Obviously, if she had the guts to tell you whatever happened, then she should have had the guts to tell you something else (if she is hiding something else). If you don't trust her then ask her. If she says there is nothing to tell, and then in the future she told you she lied, then you can break up with her and officially not trust her. But right now, there is no evidence that she is hiding something, so you have to just forget about it.
    Stellaw Posts: 171, Reputation: -1

Apr 9, 2012, 05:36 AM
    I'm glad I could help in any way. Thanks for thanking too. You should also bear in mind that most people don't share their past with someone at the beginning of a relationship because they don't want to be judged. She may hide it from you because she's afraid that she might lose you because you'll judge her. There are so many probable reasons she hid her past from you and you should understand because people are not the same. You may be very honest all throughout any relationship even on the first date but others are not. I, myself didn't reveal to my wife until we got engaged that I dated someone who's married in the past (the annulment process was very slow and crappy) because I don't want to be judged. My wife, too, dated someone who's married but she told me on our first date and it really did make me judge her because I believe that dating a married man is wrong. My wife regretted telling me that information on our first date because when we became a couple and when we fight, I would reiterate how low she was for having a relationship with a married man. I believed that it was fine with guys who date married people and date as many as they want and have several relationships at the same time. I really wanted to marry someone who's religious. Someone who hears mass every Sunday and a nice girl whom I could bring home and make my parents to meet with. I was very shallow, then. Remember, when it comes to love, even your standards and principles would be forgotten.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I've been with my girl for 2 years and now we just had a baby girl 7 months ago [ 3 Answers ]

I've been with my girl for 2 years now and we just had a baby girl 7 months ago I had a drinking problem an things really got out of hand. We fought a lot an really verbaly abused each other. But we have truly made each others lives better since we met. But now she broke up with me but she says she...

Teen Dating girl dating younger boy? [ 8 Answers ]

I'm a 15 year old girl turning 16 in September and I'm in year 10. This boy who I think is reallly cute asked me out the only problem is I found out that he is turning 14 and in year 7! Would it be wrong if I Went out with him considering there is a 2 yr age difference?? :confused:

Been dating a girl for 6 months still scared [ 8 Answers ]

So I've been dating this girl for 6months now... we've been through a lot together had our share of fights... but she still doesn't want to be exclusive... she's been seeing someone else recently she's honest about it but it bothers me a lot and she knows that. I've told her that I loved her and I...

Girl dating 4 months breaks ups out of nowhere and lead me on. Confusing girl? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi all, this is very confusing dilemma Im facing.. I just came off a 7 year relationship with my ex fiancé about 9 months ago, I meet an awesome girl who at first I thought would be a rebound but she definitely swooped me off my feet.. I'm not sure if its because of our sexual chemistry and all...

View more questions Search