Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kvaughan13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 12:08 PM
    My chihuahua swallowed a bone the size of a half dollar
    My little dog swallowed a bone the size of a half dollar coin I noticed she was having trouble breathing so I rubbed on her throat then I finally had to stick my finger down her throat she vomited white foam and she has been throwing up white foam ever since last night I have given her enulose (oil) to see if that would help her pass it but from everything I have read online it all says bring her to the vet is there anything I can do from home to help her?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 12:13 PM
    No, nothing at home. She needs to see a vet. NOW!
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 12:17 PM
    Apart from sticking a tube down her throat and pulling it out that way... nope.

Worst case scenario coming up (just a warning):

Take your dog to the vet. It sounds like it's pretty serious at this point and the dog is at risk of dying.
    If that bone cuts open part of the gastrointestinal system it can cause massive sepsis and infect the rest of the body with bacteria. The bone if big enough is probably blocking the flow of food through the GI system and may be constricting blood vessels which can cause necrosis which will kill all the surrounding tissues.

The vomiting may also be from the oil... but if I were you I wouldn't take that risk.

Has your dog eaten anything since then? Is she lethargic? Does she seem to be in pain; particularly around her stomach area?

Hope she's okay!!
    kvaughan13 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2012, 03:03 PM
    I didn't see her eat the bone it was wrapped up in a napkin then the bone ended up missing and the paper towel was on the ground... she eats everything... I looked on line and it said you can give dogs the oil its white foam she is throwing up... she has eaten a little bit nothing big though... I just don't see any other reason why she would stop breathing until I made her throw up...
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 2, 2012, 03:15 PM
    She's still alive?? What's her status now?
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Apr 2, 2012, 11:43 PM
    Until you know for certain that she actually swallowed that bone, you won't know anything to do for certain. That is quite a large object to actually swallow, and if she did, just where is it?

An X-ray should be very informative, and done tomorrow, unless you find the bone around the house meantime. Don't give her food, but all the water she may want.

If there is a puncture in the esophagus, she will rapidly go into respiratory distress, as it will allow air into her chest cavity and, at least, partially collapse her lungs.

Make another sweep of the room or area where she may have swallowed the bone and try to find it. Is there another pet that may have carried it off? If you have satisfied yourselves that there is no bone to be found, you may feel more justified in having the x-ray... tomorrow.
    hairthere Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Apr 5, 2012, 06:59 AM
    My pup once swallowed 1/4 of a corn cob and I went to the vet right away. They induced vomiting which didn't bring it up. Because it was a corn cob it had a chance of being dissolved by the stomach acid and passed through in a few days time. Though if it didn't she was going to need surgery to remove it from her stomach which is extremely costly and risky. It passed eventually in a big poop!
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Apr 5, 2012, 12:53 PM
    You're lucky... that type of organic plant material making up a corn cob needs to be digested by bacteria in a ruminant (like a cow's) stomach, not by normal dog digestion. What happens to plain corn in a dog or human diet?. goes right on through,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Do I Do If My Dog Swallowed a bone? [ 5 Answers ]

What Do I Do If My Dog Swallowed a pork bone?

Dog swallowed a bone [ 0 Answers ]

My dog swallowed a pork bone that I thought was too big too swallow. She seemed to have no trouble swallowing it. Five hours later she threw up everything she ate after the bone. The bone was round in shape. She seems OK otherwise. Any advice? It is Christmas day.

Dog swallowed bone [ 4 Answers ]

My 12mth old blue pitbull Ziggy, swallowed a pork rib bone on 12/13. Since then he has lost weight from lack of eating. However, I have been hand feeding him baked fish fillets and bread. He has vomit at least once, he has not passed anything that I have seen. I touched his stomach and he screamed....

Dog swallowed pork bone [ 4 Answers ]

My 2 lab/beagle (who is probably part goat as he eats anything that he can get his paws on) swallowed a cooked pork bone. I am giving him a lot of water as well as the cotton ball treatment, but I am wondering if I should give him anything to soften his stool or accelerate the pooping?

My pup swallowed a bone.what do I do? [ 4 Answers ]

OK... so my three month puppy swallowed a bone today from a beef rib. The bone was small but still... I didn't know he had the bone, because my dumb uncle gave it to him and by the time I realized it and tried to take it away, he swallowed it whole... now I'm scared, because he hasn't thrown up yet...

View more questions Search