Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davieemm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2012, 02:05 PM
    How can I stop my dog from getting food off the table or counter
    My dog will not stop eating anything she can reach how can itrain her to stop.
    krissyg2991 Posts: 142, Reputation: 11

Mar 26, 2012, 03:02 PM
    Consistency is key.
    Also, try and keep food put away as much as you can. The instinct to forage food is natural and you can't blame them for instinct. Try to catch them as soon as it happens. A loud noise, such as a yell or a growl to alert them of their bad behavior paired with pulling them down to correct them should do it-it'll just take time. Also, make sure that they're kenneled when unsupervised. It makes for much happier, healthier, well behaved dogs!
    sandypop1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2012, 06:11 PM
    Give the dog a snack when it doesn't eat anything of your table with my dog we keep her on the leash the whole rest of the day and put a hat on her likea party hat and it says bad then my dog feelssad if you're a real dog lover tough love is rewading and painful
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 26, 2012, 07:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sandypop1234 View Post
    give the dog a snack when it doesnt eat anything of your table with my dog we keep her on the leash the whole rest of the day and put a hat on her likea party hat and it says bad then my dog feelssad if your a real dog lover tough love is rewading and painful
    Although I'm not a fan of using treats to train a dog, it is an acknowledged method. The route your taking however will not teach the dog anything. If the OP (original poster) were to give a treat to the dog whenever he doesn't eat off the table, he'll be giving the dog treats for most of the day.

Also, keeping a dog on a leash the entire day teaches nothing. That's not training, that's just control. I feel very bad for that dog. No wonder he "feels sad".

But, the party hat and thinking that your dog actually cares that he's wearing a bad dog hat, that's just plain ridiculous, but I thank you for the laugh.
    hairthere Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Apr 5, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Train her not to touch food without your command. Start doing it in small increments i.e. 10 - 30 seconds then as she gets the point make it longer to the point you leave a treat by her bed overnight and she can't eat it till the morning when you give her the go ahead. Let her have it 100% of the time initially then drop it down to 25% of the time. IT IS POSSIBLE! My dog used to jump on the kitchen bench at night and open cupboards to raid the cupboards and now I can leave my dinner on the floor by her bed and he won't touch it. He used to have his face in my plate when I ate dinner and now he doesn't even flinch until I get his food bowl out and he knows it is his turn.
    hairthere Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Apr 5, 2012, 07:25 AM
    ... and regarding tying her up... you do not need to leesh her at all... I have rescued wild dogs from the pound with NO TRAINING at all and body language is all they need to get the point to sit in their spot while in the house. I find a leesh makes it worse. If they try to move one inch stand over them and with your body lead them back to their spot. Keep the rules consistent... no misbehaving in the house, when told to go to bed they stay there, no putting their paws up on anything etc... that makes tackling the food issue much easier. O
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Nothing to add here really except I agree with teaching a dog to only eat food on command. It is very handy for not only to stop them stealing food, but also to stop them eating baited food that may have been thrown in your yard, not nice to think about but a very real problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog stop eating his dog food or drink but he will eat table food [ 6 Answers ]

Last week we took a long road trip and took our dog with us. On the trip he eat his food with no problems but we did give him table food at times. Now he will not eat his food unless it's mixed with table food and he will no drink from his water bowl. Can you help? Should I take him to the vet?

My dog would not eat dog food and homemade dog food [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a dog she is small and she is mix she is 2 year old and when I got her she would eat her food but know she would not eat dog food and homemade dog food and I giver her a lot of kind of food but she would still not eat what do you think I should do

My dog would not eat dog food and homemade dog food [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a dog she is small and mix she is 2 year old when I got her she would eat her food but know she would not eat dog food and homemade dog food I giver her alots of food but she would not eat it what do you think I should do Help

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

View more questions Search