Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ashley27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2012, 05:05 PM
    Pull switch broke out
    The pull switch got pulled out of the little black thing on the inside of the fan at the bottom, how do I get the pull string back in the black thing to turn the fan on
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Mar 25, 2012, 07:06 AM
    First, you need to shut off power to the fan completely--that means turning off the breaker in the breaker box or removing the fuse if you've got an old system with fuses. Then you can remove the bottom plate on the fan. There should be small screws on the sides, or it might just pull off. You can tell by looking at it. Once the bottom is off, you'll be able to see where the string attaches to the fan motor switch and if there's anything left of it, just tie it back together. If there's nothing left to tie it to, you will probably want to go to the local home repair store and buy a new string and attach it to the switch the same way the old one was attached.

REMEMBER: DON'T JUST TURN OFF THE FAN! DISCONNECT THE POWER ENTIRELY. Never work around live wires.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 25, 2012, 07:50 AM
    "pull switch got pulled out " OR " pull string back in the black thing " So which broke, the string or the actual switch? Brand and model might help but please answer my question first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacing a 3-speed pull chain switch with labels L,1,2,3 on switch. [ 2 Answers ]

The wires from the fan are white, brown, purple, and gray. Which ones go where on the switch?

I replaced pull switch lights with recess but the wall switch won't turn off the light [ 2 Answers ]

I added lights and outlets to my basement and all of the outlets work fine. Before I started the switch on the wall controlled one light and all of the others had pull strings. I've tried everything but the switch will not turn off the remaining three lights. What did I do wrong... how do I fix it?...

Converting pull switch in basement to new wall switch [ 1 Answers ]

The power to the light goes through the pull switch to another light in the basement tha tis controlled by another wall switch. Need some help! Just want to control this light not the other light.

Hunter fan 3 speed fan pull switch broke [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and her mood pulled the fan speed cable and yanked it out of the fan. How can I remove the cover or get to the part so I can put the chain back in to turn on the fan. This is a hunmter 3 speed fan with 4 lights attached under the fan. I could not find the model number.

Pull switch chain broke [ 2 Answers ]

Hampton bay 3 speed fan pull chain broke inside the switch. How do I go about replacing the switch when I do not have a wiring schematic?

View more questions Search