Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Katyfb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2012, 01:21 PM
    How I can get myself adopted
    Hey guys, I'm 13. And I really want to get adopted. I just don't know how and I feel really bad about my family. They're over protective and they don't let me go out. They hate it when I accidentally ask the same questions over and over again. Ugh. They think that I should be a straight A person when I'm not. They won't give me my own phone and they are scared that I might kill myself. I've already tried cutting my wrists and it didn't work. Then I tried suffocation and now I just want to be adopted. Help me
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 24, 2012, 01:28 PM
    The legal answer is - Your parents would have to surrender their rights to you. You would probably be placed in foster care for a period.

Then the State would have to find people who are prepared to adopt someone 13 who doesn't get straight A's, wants a phone, has cut his/her wrists and attempted suicide by suffocation.

There would be a home study done by professionals. If the people who want to adopt you are suitable, then the papers would be filed, a Judge would (hopefully) approve the adoption and you would no longer be tied to your birth family.

Another way is to report your parents' cruel or dangerous behavior toward you to the local authorities. They could take you out of the family home and place you in foster care.

Have you and your present family tried counselling?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2012, 05:26 PM
    Sounds like you need professional mental health counseling. I hope your parents get it for you.

And sorry 13, most do not have cell phones, do you have a job to pay for it ? And go out ? Do you mean on dates, of course they don't let you.

You don't think a family that would adopt you would do and allow these things do you
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 24, 2012, 05:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    You don't think a family that would adopt you would do and allow these things do you
    If I fostered her, she would do what my kids did (and the autistic one who still lives here still does)--wash the kitchen and bathroom floors by hand with a bucket and rags, wash and dry dishes (no dishwasher here), learn to bake cookies and brownies, be able to make a complete meal for the family, shovel snow or cut grass depending on the season, empty and clean cat litter boxes nightly, and do other stuff as needed. That's after the homework is finished. No cell phone until at least 16, and only peer-group outings after we approve the friends and the places where they will be going.

She could end up in a lot "worse" situation with a foster home or adoptive parents.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 24, 2012, 06:10 PM
    My 13 year old only has a phone because I went back to work and needed to be able to contact him after school. It's pay as you go, and he's only allowed to use it to call me. Even that is a huge step for me, because I don't agree with children having cell phones until they can afford to pay from them themselves.

As for going out. My 13 year old is not allowed to go out unless an adult is along. He can go to a friends house or have friends over here, as long as there is an adult present in the home, and I'm not talking about someone's 18 year old brother. I mean a parent.

If he doesn't do well in school, and I don't mean straight A's, I don't expect that, but I do expect him to do his school work and work hard, then privileges are taken away . School is his job, and he better do his best while he's there. That means not slacking off.

You expect to be able to go out with friends, have a cell phone (I'm assuming mom and dad would have to pay the bill since I doubt that at 13 you have a job), but you don't do well at school, most likely because you don't apply yourself.

Your parents aren't the problem, you are, and you need to start accepting responsibility for your own actions. Your grades are in your control. You may never be brilliant, but you can at least do your best. If the work is too difficult for you then tell your parents, get help either at school or after school. But do your best.

If your grades go up then maybe they'll be more willing to give you some, probably not all, of the things you'd like to have, but as is, you haven't earned it, and it's not a God given right to have the things you want.

Parents are expected to provide shelter, food, clothing and an education. Everything else is extra, not a necessity.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 25, 2012, 06:01 AM
    As I may have mentioned, however subtle I was, I don't believe a lot of people are going to line up to adopt the OP.

However - she does have the option of living in foster care. Perhaps that would be an eye opener.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to get adopted? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey hi this shreyas I stay in Mumbai. I'm currently working with BPO "Firstsource". I want to get adopted as there is no one in my family, my father died in 2004 and my mother died in 2007. I'm 21 years old. I need dad and mom as I miss them a lot.

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad.. [ 7 Answers ]

I was adopted(birth parents are dead) but my adopted father is a deadbeat dad... My mother re-married & he husband (stepfather) has been what I consider my father. How can I have my adopted fathers name taken off my birth certificate & add my step fathers name? My mother is now deceased. The...

Not Adopted, Given away. [ 5 Answers ]

I am 43 years old, and have been searhing for my birth parents for years. I have used Pay search sites, Phone books, Google, Msn, and Yahoo searches with no luck at all. {personal info removed-<>} I also have reason to believe that I have an older Sister and Brother, and my mother may have...

Adopted in OH, Live in MD, husband wants to adopt my adopted son [ 1 Answers ]

I adopted my son 2 yrs ago in Ohio (single adoption), I live in Maryland. My soon to be husband wants to adopt him after we are married. Would we have to do it in OH or MD?

For someone else to adopted [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter dad has not paid child support or seen her in 12 yrs, now we have someone in our life that would love to be dad on papers. So how can we do it for free,I have sole custody because we weren't married and he isn't on the birth certificate,but he has signed a affid. Say she was his when...

View more questions Search