Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beachyone Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 06:33 AM
    Frequent ilnesses/infections
    My 10 year daughter has had very frequent illnesses such as having strep throat 2 times in 1 1/2 months.2 months before that very bad upper respitory infect with broncial spasm also whenever she gets a cut 90% of the time it gets infected. She always finishes her meds. Could she have a underlying problem that the doctors are not seeing or are over looking? She was diagnosed with migraines 2 years ago but other then the recent bouts with strep throat and an infected cut here and there she is a healthy kids very active in sports all year around and is a healthy eater. :confused:
    Yagita Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

Feb 20, 2007, 07:12 AM
    beachyone,

What comes to mind is to check all the usual things like diet, what is she drinking juice wise, does she want to re-do her room, how much is she allowed to do for herself, are there rules and chores that might be too much for her to cope with...

No offence meant... It's just that in my experience - especially when medical remedies don't seem to be doing any good - children are capable of becoming ill when stressing over something they hate doing or even over something they really want. Adults do this too, knowingly or unknowingly.

Try to have a cosy chat with her to find out what she thinks is wrong. You can also make a point of discretely watching her as she goes about her day; check out the kind of TV she likes, music etc. Is she on the computer? Try to find out if there is something or someone stressing her out.

Be prepared to simply let her talk - no matter what words she uses or the tone of her voice - just listen don't react.

Give her a free pass to tell you what she would change if she could.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 07:12 AM
    I am wondering if maybe the meds are putting the bacteria into a "sleep" kind of state and then after the meds are taken the bacteria "awakens" again. The meds may not be strong enough or the infections she is getting could be resistant to the antibiotics.

Out of curiosity, what was she prescribed?
    Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 07:16 AM
    Yagita, what you say may be true to an extent. But not to the extent of strep. Strep is a bacteria, you must be exposed to it to get it. Now the common cold, yes I will agree with you there. But not with infections. With infection yes, you have to have a weakened immune system, but you also have to have exposure to the bacteria in question.

So this

children are capable of becoming ill when stressing over something they hate doing or even over something they really want. Adults do this too, knowingly or unknowingly.
    Just doesn't fly when it comes to infection.

Infection = exposure and/or weakened immunity
    beachyone Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 20, 2007, 10:39 AM
    J_9, I just took her back to doc today and they put her on Omnicef and the previous time she was on Cephalexin. Doc said it was the ping pong effect she get it.. get over it then is exposed to it and it starts all over again. Plus its very common in school age kids.. . looking at my daughters chart (I mentioned maybe she needed to get her blood tested for low white blood cells) she didn't seem to concerned at the moment. Also thanks for the quick responses... I posted this this morning before I know if I could even get her in to see the doc. Thanks again
    Expert

Feb 20, 2007, 10:53 AM
    Glad you got her in today!!

Oh, yes, the ping pong effect is very popular this year!! This has to be one of the worst seasons I have seen in a very long time.

Omnicef is a very good medicine for strep and URIs (upper respiratory infections), especially bronchitis.

Just continue to make sure she takes it exactly as ordered and do not stop just because symptoms are gone. This causes the bacteria to become immune (resistant) to the antibiotics. Continue to give her the full course as you have been and please keep me posted.
    Yagita Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

Feb 21, 2007, 12:53 AM
    You came at it from a physiological direction and I came at it from a psychological direction. Both are valid.

And there are incidences where holistic healers believe throat problems are due to something being stuck in the through - like something you want to say to someone but are either afraid or simply don't want to hurt their feelings.

A long shot granted but when nothing else seems to be working - nothing should be ruled out.
    jack jackson Posts: 19, Reputation: 0

Feb 23, 2007, 03:36 AM
    Not an expert, but yes doctors opinions vary from one to another and these symptoms could merely be the cause of something a bit more serious such as a virus which are notorious for weakening the immune system are a lot harder to diagnos and treat. This perhaps could explain why the antibiotics are temporarily effective and doesn't provide the means for a cure. What antibiotics has she taken in the past might also be of equal importance, If treatment doesn't alleviate symptoms try seeking different advice or further testing or both. Note:bacteria can mutate due to not completely eradicating an infection when taking antibiotics, then you can pass this type of bacteria on to someone else, which could have been what happened in your case, which in effect would have made your antibiotics ineffective due to past exposure had the previous person or persons used the same type of treatment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Frequent Headaches [ 4 Answers ]

I have been having frequent headaches for almost a year now. I went to get glasses over the summer, because I thought that was the cause of them. I now wear my glasses often, but I still get these frequent headaches. I have also noticed my eyesight getting worse. Any logical explanation?

Too frequent erection! [ 26 Answers ]

Hi Well I've scoured the internet and I can't find help with my problem. Basially I am 28 years old and find that I get too easily sexually aroused! I'm expecting all the following posts to say that I am lucky but it is actually a real problem. I go swimming a lot now to get used to being around...

Frequent Illnesses [ 3 Answers ]

My 18-year old daughter seems to be getting sick all of the time. Typically this happens right around the time of her menses. In the past year she has had strep throat twice, cat scratch disease, a form of odd conjunctivitis, various upper respiratory infections (viral), and now seems to be...

Frequent infections [ 9 Answers ]

Hello. I am a very worried mom. My son, who is 19 years old was diagnosed with mononucleosis almost 1 year ago. It seems since then, he catches everything that is going around. Presently he is sick with an oral thrush, has had a fever the last few days, although that has now cleared up, and a...

Frequent infections and flus [ 7 Answers ]

I get a LOT of colds, flus, and various infections... typically 1-2 a month, and they tend to hang on for a long time. I've also had pneumonia several times. I take all the necessary precautions... dress warmly, exercise, vitamins, wash my hands, flu and pneumonia vaccine, etc... but I still get...

View more questions Search