Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bartsthrm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2012, 09:47 AM
    Thermostat Wire Colors?
    I have an old style honeywell [CT87N] It has three wire slots but my old one has four wires. It was ripped of the wall so I'm not sure what wire went where.There are light green,blue,white and red,the blue,red are connected at the furnace as well as the white and green. Where and what colors do I connect at the wall and will the new one even work with what I have. Thank You J.R.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 10:08 AM
    "I have an old style honeywell [CT87N] It has three wire slots but my old one has four wires" a bit confused , did you mean to sat the NEW one has four wires? Read the 3rd post in this thread https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/heatin...eat-58313.html
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Mar 21, 2012, 05:00 PM
    Should be pretty simple. Somebody just used two wires for one connection on both the r and w. Hook the red to r on the stat and furnace, and the white to w on the stat and furnace, leave the others unhooked. Should be good to go this way.
    Seann Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2012, 01:34 PM
    Hi
    First check on the furnace which colour wire is connected to which label (alphabet)
    And then match the same on the stat

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 wire heat thermostat and 2 wire air thermostat want to wire to a programmable [ 1 Answers ]

2 wire heat thermostat and 2 wire air thermostat want to wire both to a programmable thermostat, need wiring information

Ceiling fan wire colors don't match those described in manual - what's the blue wire? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband was trying to install a ceiling fan this weekend to replace an old one that was there previously. From the ceiling, we have a black wire, a white wire, and a blue wire. However, in the instructions for the fan, it says that in the ceiling we should have a black wire (ungrounded), a...

Correct wire colors on a new thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a Honeywell thermostat, model RTH221. There are three wires coming from the furnace, Red, White, Blue. The terminal labels in the old Sears thermostat, model 38792010, look like they are marked: SW - White wire TM - Blue wire TM-TR - Red wire. How do I match these to the new...

Thermostat wire colors [ 3 Answers ]

I just removed my old mechanical thermostat. The wire colors were: W = white G = green R = ref Y = yellow O = Orange The rth230b has: W, Y, Rc, Rh, and G. I initially installed the Red in Rc, Y, W, and G. I did nothing with the O wire. When I turned the system on the thermostat started...

Wire colors for heat pump thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

While installing a programmable therostat, two of the indentification stickers fell off the wires. The wires colors are blue and brown and I don't want to hook them up wrong. The "ports" are E and C. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

View more questions Search