Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lacie123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 19, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Will he commit
    I am 52 and have been dating a 63 year old man for 3 years. I have expressed to him I want to be married or at least engaged. He is unsure of wanting either. We live 1 1/2 hours apart and weekly meet and go out at a central driving point for both of us. We talk daily on the phone. I broke up with him twice to scare him and came back both times. He lives close to his eldey mother and helps take care of her. I feel that once she passes he will want to marry me because he will be alone. What can t o do to make him to at least buy me a ring?
    VirtuousPlume Posts: 24, Reputation: 5

Mar 19, 2012, 05:35 PM
    How about explaining him that a token of your bond together, as a man to a woman, would make you truly happy, and that you want said bond to grow, because every time you would look at your ring, you would feel closer to him, and loved? It may be a naïve suggestion, but I believe all men find it hard to truly grasp the significance such gestures have for a woman. Mature men, especially, may find themselves too cynical about physical demonstrations of love to think deeply about it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2012, 02:13 PM
    You can't do anything to make anybody else do anything. I'd focus more on the relationship, less on the ring. Are you sure you want to marry a man who is interested in marrying you purely because he doesn't want to be alone?
    lacie123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 27, 2012, 04:27 PM
    I would think three years would be enough time for him to know. After all, he did come back after I broke up with him to scare him. I really want someone to come home to and talk about my day and ask about his. I don't think our 11 year age difference is an issue.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
    Has he voiced a reason as to why he is unsure about making more of a commitment? Can you talk to him about his mother and whether his wanting to take care of her is what has him unsure? Was he divorced or widowed previously? Have you told him that you really want someone to come home to to talk about how your days were?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2012, 04:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lacie123 View Post
    I would think three years would be enough time for him to know. After all, he did come back after I broke up with him to scare him. I really want someone to come home to and talk about my day and ask about his. I don't think our 11 year age difference is an issue.

Is a post missing? I don't know what you are answering.

Apparently three years isn't enough for him to know he wants to marry you, unless it is time enough and he's decided no. Breaking up with people in order to scare them into proposing marriage seems to me to be a very bad idea.

I believe in being straight forward in a relationship. I don't want to have to trick someone into marrying me.

I don't see anyone saying that 11 years (at your ages) is too big an age difference.

You can't make someone love you or marry you - it's as simple as that. I don't want someone, as I said, that I have to trick.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He doesn't want to commit again. [ 6 Answers ]

I had a 1 year long relationship with this guy. I was very struggling at that time, very unsure about our relationship so I broke up with him several times and then wanted him back again only after a week or so. He got confused. I also drank too much and was flirting around with other guys and...

She won't commit [ 53 Answers ]

Ok so my situation is a little different. There is a girl whom I've had a crush on and been best friends with since freshmen year. Back then I was too nervous to even say anything however after telling her my feelings this last year she admitted that since freshmen year she's felt the same way......

Commit to stripper girlfriend so she stops dancing, or she stops before I commit? [ 88 Answers ]

My girlfriend is a stripper. I say that only half-heartedly because we’ve dated for 18 months and she’s only been to work about 15 times during that time. We met at the club. I’ve tried to support her going back to work when we need money, but every time it tears us apart. She’s waiting on me to...

He won't commit! [ 10 Answers ]

My ex boyfriend broke up with me about 3 months ago as "he doesn't want to be tide down, and is afraid of commitment". (He's 25 and has never had a girlfriend for more then a year) but we have never really stopd hooking up.. I really care about him so sort of tolerated this situation for a while.. ...

Won't commit [ 8 Answers ]

I am 49 yrs old and widowed my new boyfriend is 44 and never married we have been seeing each other for seven months but began talking a little over a year ago one day he says things that leads me to believe he will move me to his state this is a long distance relationship and then the next it is...

View more questions Search