Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    samdarwen Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Mar 19, 2012, 02:35 AM
    When I was reading in the Bible; some illogical stories stopped me and I like to ask
    When I was reading in the Bible; some illogical stories stopped me and I like to ask if someone is willing to explain, might that makes it logical and appealing.
    Did the prophet great King David caused the death of his officer after he committed adultery with the man’s wife? If so; how could a prophet kill, lie, and commit adultery?
    indya Posts: 357, Reputation: 58

Mar 19, 2012, 03:31 AM
    Hi Samdarwen,

King David was not a prophet. He was a king and leader of the Jews. And he was human, so yes he did falter and make mistakes. Yes, it was David who planned the killing of Uriah once he had committed adultery with Uriah's wife Bathsheba.

There is nothing illogical about this story, in fact it shows how a man after he attains glory and wealth forgets his God and falls into sin.

Hope I solved your query.

Mar 19, 2012, 04:01 AM
    Hi Indya
    I now understand if he is not a prophet but for some reason we were taught he was in our Bible studies; but thank you

Mar 19, 2012, 04:53 AM
    You are welcome :)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 19, 2012, 06:26 AM
    Because even all the prophets all of the great leaders were human, Many of the stories shows us the human weakness of man, That no matter how much we are at times in connection with God, we also have a human nature.

Look at Peter who denied Christ, who was mouthy and more. Look at Thomas who doubted, Look at all of them who doubted and did not believe Mary about seeing Christ.
    Look at Moses and his anger many times, his lying about his wife.

If all of these people were perfect, we could not see them as examples, since they would be too perfect.

Mar 19, 2012, 06:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    Because even all the prophets all of the great leaders were human, Many of the stories shows us the human weakness of man, That no matter how much we are at times in connection with God, we also have a human nature.

Look at Peter who denied Christ, who was mouthy and more. Look at Thomas who doubted, Look at all of them who doubted and did not believe Mary about seeing Christ.
    Look at Moses and his anger many times, his lying about his wife.

If all of these people were perfect, we could not see them as examples, since they would be too perfect.
    ??

Mar 19, 2012, 09:22 PM
    Samdarwen, Fr_Chuck is trying to say that even great prophets and disciples of Jesus have had their share of sins and bad choices, because they are all after all humans. Being a prophet for God or follower of Christ does not make you sin proof. These stories of great men and women in the bible are not about how spot-free and morally great these people were, it's about how great were the mercies of God that he forgave his faltering, blundering children.
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Mar 28, 2012, 07:45 AM
    Actually, David was both prophet and King. To be a prophet, one simply had to be chosen by God to speak for him and David was used by God in that manner on occasion. Also, Peter refers to David as a prophet in Acts 2, so it was an accepted thing amongst the Jews that David was a prophet:

“Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. BEING THEREFORE A PROPHET, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. (Acts 2:29-31 ESV)"

Remember, Moses was a prophet of God. He killed an Egyptian taskmaster and buried him in the sand. In his pride, when God told him to speak to the rock to bring forth water, he instead struck it with his staff.

Sam, we are all sinners. David was a man after God's own heart and yet he committed the kinds of sins that he did. David, in my opinion, is a kind of prototype for the believer. He has a heart for God and desires to do his will and yet he is also weak and prone to temptation, and succumbs to temptation at times. Given the perspective Jesus gives us about the nature of the Law of Moses, being innocent from committing sins goes beyond the mere act itself... we can be guilty of sin within our heart, whether it ever becomes a deed or not. This reality brings home with utter forcefulness the depths of depravity found in the human heart. And yet God still chooses to use morally broken people to accomplish his will and he continues to do so, in spite of our inability to be morally perfect.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Mar 31, 2012, 06:36 PM
    Jake said it better than I could have. :)

Apr 17, 2012, 02:32 AM
    Thank you
    True and correct

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does reading random thing in internet, is the equivalent to reading books? [ 2 Answers ]

They say that reading books is good. I'm not very smart perhaps because I don't read many books. I've almost never read a whole book from start to end. And I'm in my 30's. But I do read a lot of stuff in the web. But mostly short things. Not like long full books. But isn't it the same thing? Or...

DVD drive has stopped reading CD and DVD [ 5 Answers ]

My DVD drive has stopped reading any disc inserted in the drive when the computer is running. The PC is exactly a month old today and was working fine until last Thursday, I was able to install software from CD. Then on Weds I created some CD's containing a couple of videos I had shot and out of...

Looking for name to cartoon about a cat or fox bum reading stories [ 1 Answers ]

The show played on channel seven where I live on Saturday mornings it had a cat or fox that was brown or red and he was a bum. But he had tons of books laying all ove in heaps like hills in the back alley of a road or something and read them the kids .their was like a two chairs and everyone sat...

Stories from India Stories from Mexico Stories from Japan [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for children's series books with the following titles: (they are a series by the same author/publisher) Stories from India Stories from Mexico Stories from Japan Other countries also not just these three

View more questions Search