Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    admiralsfan Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

Feb 19, 2007, 06:24 PM
    MySpace: Is it worth it?
    I was going to post this in Internet and the Web, but I don’t need technical help with it. And since it involves people, I posted here. What I am looking for here is opinions on the site. As you read this keep in mind I know nothing about how MySpace works, other than search.

Most of my friends are on MySpace, most of which leave their page on public, so it is easy to get to and check out what they have, what their friends have, etc. I can’t read their blogs but that’s fine, I’m in no hurry to read them. Which worries me about security, aside from all the stuff you hear happening with MySpace on the news. If you leave your page on public, anyone can see it. I have heard that employers will try to go onto MySpace and see if you have a page on there, and if they do not like what they see, they will not hire you. I have a steady job, but if my employer looks out there and sees something they don’t like, could they fire me? I could set my page to private, only my friends can see it. But if I wanted to meet and/or talk to new people on MySpace, they can’t view my private profile. I would have to trust them enough so they can view it.

When I was in college I used Facebook. I added friends, talked on the boards, stuff like that. Eventually I found myself consciously logging on for no reason, regardless if I had messages or not. Plus hardly anyone talked on the message boards, and yes I posted quite a bit on them. Just like checking my email every day, thinking someone sent me something, friend or otherwise. I got sick of logging on, seeing and doing nothing and I deleted my page on Facebook. Plus I graduated from college so Facebook is pretty much useless anyway. In case you are wondering, I don’t consciously check this site everyday, I think this site has a different feel and purpose. It’s more about helping others than making friends and trying to get a date.

I thought of joining MySpace, adding my friends and doing blogs of my own, but my past experiences with Facebook and Internet Dating (a whole different topic, let’s not go there) keeps me away from using MySpace. Plus I have seen what some of my friends have done with their page, and it seems so time consuming to set up something like that. Not that it is difficult, just time consuming. And for what? How long would an average friend spend on your page before their eyes bug out from all the info you wrote plus whatever pictures/animations you have?

Is it really worth the time and effort to have a MySpace page?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 19, 2007, 06:40 PM
    That's something only you can answer for yourself. Social networking sites can have some value or they can be destructively addictive.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2007, 06:47 PM
    If you post things anywhere on the web, that you don't want your future wife, your future children, you boss, the IRS or anyone to see, don't post it.

Even old web sites from years ago that have long ago been closed can be found archived at times.

And of course your boss can fire you anytime they want for almost any reason you want. If they see you doing things that would give their company a bad image, it can.

I lost a job for my views I have posted on sites like this in the past, so anything is possible.
    Yagita Posts: 17, Reputation: 7

Feb 19, 2007, 06:55 PM
    I have an MSN Space. I don't think it is much different from MySpace. You can have a Space and you can enjoy it, you can have it public and still be private - all you have to do is create an identity. You can share the name you have chosen only with the friends and family you trust. Other's only need to know you by whatever name you decide to use and by how much information you decide to share.

I think most of us are used to writing in a journal. We can do that without mentioning real names or details. Spaces is the same.

With a bit of thought and a little planning you can create a Space that is friendly and welcoming without letting anyone know who you are - except the people you don't mind sharing with. You can explain how you feel and ask them not to mention personal details when they leave you messages.

My sister and I communicated lots when she had a Space and no one had any idea that we were sisters.

As for it being worth it. That would depend on what you enjoy doing with your spare time. You can spend as much or as little time as you want fixing up a Space. There is no denying that it is a great way in this day and age for communicating with people from all over the world.

Forums are great fun but a Space is something you can create and design and share ideas with others on how to get the most out of it.

PS. If you need any help setting up an MSN Space let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Myspace [ 4 Answers ]

I sometimes get friend requests from bands and shops, I'm assuming that they don't send indivdual requests to eveybody so how is this done? We want to set one up for work and be able to ask everyone in the area to be friends with us. Thanks

Myspace help [ 2 Answers ]

Does anybody know where to get those about me survey quizzes and post them on your profile? K Thx if u do :D

Myspace [ 2 Answers ]

How do I put a background on my myspace and other cool modifications? Thanks.

Myspace [ 3 Answers ]

How do we make it automatic in which users at myspace.com when they join, and enter their personal information in which it is automically updated. And, they enter pictures, it come up immediately, how do make it? Is it some sort of database?

Myspace [ 5 Answers ]

I don't know who here is familiar with myspace but maybe someone can help out here. A young friend of mine received a comment on her page from another friend. The comment consists of the results of a quiz from another site. Normally if you want to delete a comment all you have to do is click edit...

View more questions Search