Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandylynn09 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
    If my son is in prison for a sex offence can his ex girl friends husband adopt my son
    Child with out his permission. He was not married to her but birth records shows my son as the father and he has court ordered visitation.
    Thanks
    Worried Grandmother
    samdarwen Posts: 68, Reputation: 2

Mar 15, 2012, 05:00 AM
    So if the boy is her son, then yes she can and could do nothing about it... He is in Jail so he needs to finish his time and go to rehab then think about his son... Your son cannot have the child when he is the person he is and I’m not trying to judge unless if he is actually not what you wrote he is... Anyway; you on the other hand; you can file to have the child with you but a strange man cannot simply change his name and all but with marriage he could be a step father
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2012, 05:22 AM
    No your sons ex-girlfriends husband can't simply adopt your grandson without your sons approval in most cases (more on the few exeptions in the next paragraph).. Not if he is recognised by the court as the child's father. He has visitation but was he ever ordered to pay support as well?

Adoptions occur through the courts... and for one person to adopt anothers child... someone has to have their parental rights terminated... since your son is alive and well... even if he is in jail... a court would have to take away his rights for that to happen... unless he voluntarily agreed to the adoption. The courts do at times take away someone's rights against their will, but usually its because they threatened the life or wellbeing of that child. They don't simply do it if one parent decides they want it that way.

Of course after such adoption... visitation rights would end.. as well as any child support he might have been paying, along with any other legal parental obligation. Assuming he wasn't in arrears with support at the time, as those arrears would still be owed.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 15, 2012, 06:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by samdarwen View Post
    So if the boy is her son, then yes she can and could do nothing about it... He is in Jail so he needs to finish his time and go to rehab then think about his son... Your son cannot have the child when he is the person he is and I’m not trying to judge unless if he is actually not what you wrote he is... Anyway; you on the other hand; you can file to have the child with you but a strange man cannot simply change his name and all but with marriage he could be a step father

This is very incorrect advice from a legal standpoint. No, the girlfriend's husband cannot adopt the child without the father's signed permission unless te father is doing life - and even then there are problems.

I saw nothing about rehab in the question.

The grandmother certainly can file to have the child with her - but she's going to lose if the mother is stable.

Again, bad legal advice.
    lolaparkin Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2012, 03:24 PM
    I think the dad in prison should not have a say on the child's life as he lock up for been a sex offender and I think the new dad should beable to try and make a change to the kids life!!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2012, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by lolaparkin View Post
    i think the dad in prison should not have a say on the childs life as he lock up for been a sex offender and i think the new dad should beable to try and make a change to the kids life !!!!!!!!!!!!

You can put all the exclamation marks in the World at the end of your rant.

It doesn't change the law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can my significant other adopt my son while he is in prison? [ 3 Answers ]

How can my boyfriend of two years adopt my son? He has been around since my son was 3 months old and is all my son has ever known. We recently had a child together and I want both of my children to have the same father and last name. My sons father is non-active in his life and I just want my son...

Husband wants to adopt my son. [ 1 Answers ]

My son's biological father left me during pregnancy, I have not heard from him since and he is not on the birth certificate and I don't know where he is. Now my husband wants to adopt my son and has been there since he was 6 months old, seeing how I can not find his biological father and he isn't...

The father of my son passed away and my new husband wants to adopt my son? [ 1 Answers ]

My son's father passed way almost two years ago. I just remarried and my new husband wants to adopt my son. My new husband has been taking care of my son like his own for a year now and my son just adores him and all ready calls him "Dad". We live in Illinois and just wanted to know where we...

Can my husband adopt my son [ 1 Answers ]

Hey my husband wants to adopt my son his father gave us consent to do you . What do we have to do now. Where do we go to get this done and what does it involve?

Can my husband adopt my son [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old son and my husband is not his father,but his real father didn't want anything to do with him so I got sole custody of him ,but now since he didn't pay his child support the courts sent us papers saying we have to go to court for support violation!now his father is playing games ...

View more questions Search