Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shannon112689 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2012, 09:03 AM
    My dog is limping, not putting weight on her leg, what could it be?
    I have a 2 year old Pitbull named Chloe. I put her in her cage for bed Sunday night and woke up to her whining. I got up to let her out to go potty and she had limped out of her cage, not putting any weight down on it.

All day, Monday, she didn't put any weight on her leg and just laid outside all day. Before bed, I had to go out, call her and wait for her to slowly limp to come inside. Normally, she would be running, jumping, being annoyingly happy.

Now, Tuesday morning, she is still putting no weight on her leg. I laid her down and squeezed all the parts of her leg and she cried when I squeezed her thigh, right above her knee.

On the same leg she is not putting weight on, she had surgery on. In August 2011, she had her leg shattered, had surgery, and a external fixator (leg brace) in until January 2012. All that cost $3000 and I have no more money to put into her.

Any advice helps.
    Thank you.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2012, 11:25 AM
    You are not going to be happy with my advice. Something is wrong, very wrong, with her leg. She is obviously in distress if not outright pain.

I would scrape up the money to take her to the Vet for a consult. Maybe you won't have to put "more money" into her.

Maybe you'll have to surrender her to someone who can afford her medical treatment(s).

Is this the same leg that was shattered? If so, I'd run to the Vet with the dog and ask if there's a connection.

You obviously love her and don't want her to be in pain. I think you take her in and THEN decide how to proceed. My area has a "slush fund" for Vet bills. People contribute and those contributions are anonymously used to help people who are tapped out. After spending $3,000 last year you would certainly qualify.

I would also beg the Vet to take payments if that would be the only way to go.
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Mar 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
    She will need to go to a vet? Is it a back leg? I wonder if she's torn/blown her cruciate ligament. You won't know until you get her seen.
    Talk to your vet and see if they will work something out - if you've dropped that much on her in the past and paid that off, I'm sure they could work out a payment plan.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 06:56 AM
    I totally echo Judy's advice. She needs more medical treatment. She could have re-torn a muscle or ligament.
    celticfc Posts: 47, Reputation: 2

Mar 14, 2012, 04:38 PM
    I agree with judykaytee medical treatment is your best option.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 14, 2012, 04:42 PM
    If it is a torn ligament, there is no help, it doesn't reattach. Been there before.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Mar 15, 2012, 07:56 PM
    Take her back to the vet who did the surgery, no one knows more about what went on in there than the vet who repaired it does. It could related to her previous injury and the healing process, or a failure in same. It's been about 7 months, and it is going to take about 3 months for that extensive of a fracture to develop sufficient bone strength to allow fairly normal activity. It also may be something else, but go with the obvious until proven wrong.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog won't put weight on her leg, what could it be? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old Pitbull named Chloe. I put her in her cage for bed Sunday night and woke up to her whining. I got up to let her out to go potty and she had her leg up, not putting any weight down on it. I laid her down and squeezed all the parts of her leg and she cried when I squeezed her...

Help! Why is my Dog not putting weight on? [ 12 Answers ]

Hi I need some help here I re-homed a Staffordshire bull terrier ***** She is 9 months old she is eating her food but isn't putting any weight on! She isn't putting any weight on and she has just started biting the bottom of her back too. Can anyone help all I want is for her to put weight on...

My chicken is limping but her leg is'nt broken she has passed it on to a younger one [ 1 Answers ]

In October My chicken started limping, her leg is not broken it looks like an infection, on the sole of her foot there seems to be an swolen lump she is about 5 or 6 and she has passed it on to one of my younger, healthier ones. What could it be and what can I do to help her?

Limping leg.no sign of pain though? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. I have a five year old Maltese. Last week I noticed him limping a little on his back left leg,(he has been playing with my aunts bigger Whippets for a week) I felt the leg and there wasn't any sign of pain, whimpering etc. when I press or massaged it. I wanted to wait a week before I took...

Dog limping [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, My dog has been limping and I checked his foot and it seems he has lost part of his nail. Can anyone suggest any in home remedies to treat it. He is not constantly bleeding but there is blood on the tip of his nail. It doesn't seem to be getting on the carpet but I don't want it to get...

View more questions Search