Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RoseSkyLilly Posts: 11, Reputation: 2

Mar 7, 2012, 06:23 PM
    Can A 18 Year Old Legally Date A 16 Year Old?
    There's this guy I want to date, but he's 18 and I'm 16.
    Is it legal in the state of Idaho, for a 18 and 16 year old to date?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 06:30 PM
    They can date anytime they want, as long as the 16 year old's parent gives their permission.

It is having sex that is regulated by law. I will assume they do not plan on having sex ?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 07:02 PM
    There are no laws on dating. If your parents are okay with it, you can date. Anything other than dating though, then he's in big trouble.

Mar 7, 2012, 07:04 PM
    Oh, okay. Thanks.
    Yeah sex was kind of in mind.
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 07:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseSkyLilly View Post
    Oh, okay. Thanks.
    Yeah sex was kinda in mind.
    Well sex between a 16 year old and an 18 year old isn't legal. So that's a big no no. He would be convicted as a rapist, be a registered sex offender for the rest of his life. It would ruin his life.

So I guess it depends on how much you care about him, and how much he cares about his future. I've never had sex that was good enough to risk my life on.

Mar 7, 2012, 07:12 PM
    Well, I'll just wait till I'm 18 then, I don't want to ruin his life like that.
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2012, 07:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RoseSkyLilly View Post
    Well, I'll just wait till I'm 18 then, I don't want to ruin his life like that.
    Good for you, and good idea. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2012, 04:47 AM
    No one should be engaging in sexual intercourse until they are physically, emotionally and financially prepared to have a child.
    samazing Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 12, 2012, 12:57 PM
    In regards to the above answer... I think your answer sounds great... in theory. I do agree with the first two: physically & emotionally. Do you think that college students are financially prepared to have a child? Also... being financially prepared can be construed in two ways: sufficiency for survival and how you WANT your child to grow up. I'm sure most people in the world wish they had more money for their kids. You appear to be a bit ignorant in the sense that you truly believe people shouldn't have sex until they have all 3 factors going for them... did you live in a perfect world with rich parents? I think so, because all those tingly feelings people feel in their hoo-hahs and ding-dums aren't going to be restrained by the fact they aren't financially prepared, however they may view that. A much better rendition of your statement... 'No one should be engaging in sexual intercourse until they are either physically & emotionally prepared to have a child or are financially prepared to purchase contraceptives.'
    Pets Expert

Mar 12, 2012, 03:59 PM
    samazing, I do see your point. Also, I have to say that I didn't wait to have sex. I wasn't a virgin at 24 when I married. My husband wasn't my first, and when I first had sex, there was no way that I was ready to have a child. I got lucky. I never got pregnant before I chose to. But it was just that. Luck.

Now that I am married, have children of my own, I'm much more realistic, and I realize the risk I took back then.

I'm not expecting my kids to wait until marriage. But now that I know so much more than I did at 16, 17, 18... I do think that's it's incumbent on me to tell these teens the truth. If they come here asking for advice on sex, there's really no way I can say "You're 16? Go ahead! Nothing will happen, it's okay", because I know that's not true.

The fact is, if we give them an out, if we don't give them all the facts, all the worst case scenarios, then we're not doing them any good.

So yes, I do think you should be financially prepared to have a child. That doesn't mean that you have to be rich. But you should at least be working, be able to provide a roof over your head, food on the table, all the necessities you and a child will need. The fact is, in the US, just to give birth to a child will cost you $12,000, and that's if nothing goes wrong. Add to that diapers, formula, furniture, clothes, doctors bills, etc. etc. It's not cheap. I don't know one 16 year old that can afford to even give birth in the US, much less care for the child after it's born.

I think that's the point Scott is making. But I don't want to put words into his mouth. Just my point of view.

Also want to point out that contraceptives, they're not 100% effective. If I had a dollar for every person I know personally that got pregnant while on the pill, using a condom, etc. etc. I'd be very wealthy.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 17, 2012, 12:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by samazing View Post
    In regards to the above answer.... I think your answer sounds great... in theory. I do agree with the first two: physically & emotionally. Do you think that college students are financially prepared to have a child? Also... being financially prepared can be construed in two ways: sufficiency for survival and how you WANT your child to grow up. I'm sure most people in the world wish they had more money for their kids. You appear to be a bit ignorant in the sense that you truly believe people shouldn't have sex until they have all 3 factors going for them... did you live in a perfect world with rich parents? I think so, because all those tingly feelings people feel in their hoo-hahs and ding-dums aren't going to be restrained by the fact they aren't financially prepared, however they may view that. A much better rendition of your statement.... 'No one should be engaging in sexual intercourse until they are either physically & emotionally prepared to have a child or are financially prepared to purchase contraceptives.'
    First, my response that you commented on was an OPINION. You are free to disagree with my opinion. Just as I am free to disagree with your. I also understand where you are coming from but there are several fallacies in your comment. No I am not ignorant at all, nor am I naïve enough to believe in a perfect world. And I am well aware of the hormonal rush that exists.That doesn't mean my opinion is less valid. Also, you ignored the specificity of my opinion. I did not say that people shouldn't have sex I said they shouldn't have "sexual Intercourse". There is a difference. Finally, no form of contraception is 100%. Therefore, anytime one engages in sexual intercourse one risks pregnancy. Contraception reduces the risk but doesn't eliminate it. And you seem to be a bit ignorant of the financial impact of having a child. I've seen estimates that during the first year alone, a child can cost $15K and that's for minimum care and doesn't include the cost of birth itself. If one is not financially prepared to have a child, this can result in the public being responsible for support of that child. It can have a significant deleterious affect on the future of the mother and father as they may be forced to quit school or other things involved in supporting the child.

No sir, your "much better" rendition is not that. I stand by my opinion.

P.S. If you gave the unhelpful rating on my post you were being short sighted and unfair in doing so.and

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In the State of Maine is it legal for an 18 year old male to date a 16 year old girl [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 18 years old and wants to date a girl who is 16 years old and will turn 17 years old in 2 weeks. Is this legal?

Can a 13 year old legally date a 17 year old in the state of Oregon [ 6 Answers ]

I am 13 years old turning 14 in one month and this guy I like is 17 can we legally date in the state of Oregon.

Statutory rape consent in winnipeg for a 21 year old female to date a 16 year old boy [ 7 Answers ]

Im am a 16 year old boy going on 17 in a few months, I'm in a relationship with a 20 year old female, her parents and my parents agree with our relationship, can she be charged with statuatory rape?

Can a 17 year old legally date a 23 year old? [ 8 Answers ]

Can a 23 year old male and 17 year old female legally date in the state of Pennsylvania?

View more questions Search