Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    njbooklover Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 04:25 PM
    ?I want to replace a ceiling light fixture but the replacement has only two wires
    Replacement has only 2 wires coming from it and they are both coated in white. So how do I tell which one to hook up to which one?
    whatnow_sa Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Feb 21, 2012, 04:56 PM
    What colots are they? & compared to the wiring you have, how many wired ate there..?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2012, 07:33 PM
    You probably have a zip cord wire, common for chandeliers and other similar lights. Look at the wire: One side should be smooth and one side has ridges. The ridged side goes to the neutral(white) and the smooth side to the black.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2012, 07:44 PM
    He ma0641, hope all is well, if the wiring "appears" identical, then the wire attached to the outer shell is the neutral.(continuity tester or meter)
    Above post made by ma0641 is good on about 99.9% of what you will run into. Rarely they are identical, then they need to be rung out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 white wires, 3 black wires on ceiling: switching from ceiling fan to light [ 20 Answers ]

We are trying to replace a ceiling fan with an overhead light. We took down the fan and now have 3 white wires and 3 black wires in the ceiling and are not sure how to wire the light which has 3 white wires and 3 black wires. We tried to connect all whites together and all blacks together. The...

Bathroom Vanity: Four Lights and Wires to replace Two Light Fixture [ 3 Answers ]

We took out a two light vanity fixture that had two sets of black and white wires. The new fixture has four lights and four sets of black and white wires. Is there anything special we have to do to install it? Can we splice the wires somehow or do we have to add more wiring to the original...

Ceiling light fixture will not turn off - too many wires [ 10 Answers ]

I tried to install a new light fixture. The old one was elementary - one black wire and one white. The new fixture has two bulbs, so has two black and to white wires. From the ceiling box there are two white wires entwined and two black. I connected all the black wires together and all the white...

View more questions Search