Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mydallmo Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2012, 04:11 PM
    Sold car, now buyer wants refund
    So, I bought this car six months ago but just acquired the title last week after I made final payment (this was a verbal agreement private sale). I decided to sell the car immediately for financial reasons. I sold the car but was not aware that the odometer was incorrect until the buyer called me up four days later and said that she ran a carfax report and the car actually had 200,000 more miles. I had previously ran a vehicle history report before I purchased the car six months ago and on that report, the odometer reading was the same as the report. So, I thought it was legit. Now, the buyer wants her money back. I cannot afford to give her the money back because I already used it... I had bills to pay. She tells me that the car is worth only half of what she paid, but I looked up the KBB and the book value is actually only $1000 less than what she paid me. I told her I want to work with her since I did not know about this and I feel it's morally right, but she's insisting that I take the car back and give her the money back. I cannot afford to take the car back as I have used the money. I am afraid that she will take me to court.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 04:20 PM
    So let's see if I got this right... you ran a report that came back with the same mileage that was on the odometer when you bought the car, right?

She bought the car and then says she got a report that shows 200,000 MORE miles on it than what you thought?

Something doesn't sound right here. Have you seen her report that she claims to have? Have you done something with the miles that you're not telling us about?

It doesn't make sense to me that you would have a report that matches the odometer and she has one that claims 200k extra miles.

Feb 21, 2012, 04:37 PM
    ... my report came from Vehicle History Report. She got hers from Carfax. Yes, they both conflicting. I did see her Carfax report but I also know what my Vehicle History report says too. I double checked my report today and it says the mileage is the same as the odometer. But Carfax report also.says it may be a clerical error.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 21, 2012, 04:40 PM
    Normally, this wouldn't matter since a private sale is normally As Is. However, there are laws in some states about falsifying mileage. So ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

So where did you do a history from and have you tried getting a Carfax yourself and verifying what she is saying? She lied about the book value so maybe she is lying about this.

Feb 21, 2012, 04:43 PM
    She gave me her log in to her Carfax and I saw what she said. I got my report from Vehicle History Report. And NO I did not alter the miles!
    whatnow_sa Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Feb 21, 2012, 04:47 PM
    If they essentially bought the car "as is," you are under no legal obligation to refund their money as they are now the owners of this car unless you want to do this.. they should have had the car looked at by a mechanic BEFORE the purchase of the car and then decided if they wished to purchase it or not... the onus is on the buyer in this case to check it out thoroughly before buying..
    So, do what you can in this case.. the buyer can't live off what a carfax says anyway...
    Hope that helped..

Feb 21, 2012, 04:50 PM
    Oh! And Carfax doesn't ALWAYS have the right information..
    I know this from experience... get the history from another source if you can...

Feb 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
    ... @whatnow-sa... I got mines from Vehicle History Report... she got hers from Carfax... so which one should I believe? The car was "sold-as-is".

Feb 21, 2012, 05:17 PM
    Again, there are laws about odometer tampering that may affect the AsIs nature of the sale. Without knowing where you are we can't tell your exposure.

Do you still have a copy of your report? How old is the car? Has it had multiple owners?
    Entomology Expert

I would believe what your report says since it does actually match the odometer. Carfax could be wrong. Yours could be wrong but, considering it matches the odometer, I would be more inclined to believe that one.

With the car being sold as-is, you're no longer liable for it in any way, shape or form...
    Though, I'd go with your report just because the miles read the same...

Feb 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
    ... @ScottGem... I live in Virginia... I do have an internet copy of my report... car is 9 years old and yes, it has had multiple owners.

Feb 21, 2012, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by whatnow_sa View Post
    with the car being sold as-is, you're no longer liable for it in any way, shape or form...
    though, I'd go with your report just because the miles read the same...
    This may not necessarily be true. As I said there are laws about odometer tampering. We need to know where the OP is to know what laws cover.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Feb 21, 2012, 05:27 PM
    Buyer should have done any checking first. I believe it is as is where is as long as you wernt? Lying.
    If you provided a copy of your history check, that should ease her mind, on why you can't refund her.
    Did the car develop a problem?
    If the odometer is not moving, it may be broke or disconnected? Speedometer work?

Feb 21, 2012, 05:29 PM
    @ScottGem... if the odometer has been tampered, it was done before I bought the car. I didn't have a clue.

Feb 21, 2012, 05:36 PM
    @Stratmando... I did provide her my Vehicle History Report and she still was not happy. The odometer was working the last time I checked because I got frequent oil changes. She made no mention of a developing problem. The speedometer worked the last time I had it too. I drove it up until the day it was sold.

Feb 21, 2012, 05:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mydallmo View Post
    @ScottGem...if the odometer has been tampered, it was done before I bought the car. I didn't have a clue.
    I'm not saying you did. But since you refuse to let us know where you are, we can't tell you what laws apply. So consult a local lawyer in case she does sue.

If you want help then give us info we can help you with. Otherwise good luck.
    Entomology Expert

Feb 21, 2012, 05:43 PM
    [email protected] live in Virginia...I do have an internet copy of my report...car is 9 years old and yes, it has had multiple owners.
    Scott, you might have missed it but he did finally say Virginia.

Me? I would tell her to take a hike. If your report actually matches the odometer, then you are probably OK.

Feb 21, 2012, 05:45 PM
    @ScottGem.. I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned in a previous post that I live on Virginia...

Feb 21, 2012, 06:06 PM
    @ScottGem ..I'm sorry, I thought I mentioned in a previous post that I live on Virginia...
    Sorry I did miss it.

This may help: Commonwealth of Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles

Also this: Consumer complaints about Carfax - Inaccuracies

On the bill of sale, you did certify that the mileage was correct. On the other hand, based on on what you knew you should be in the clear.

How much was the mileage? A 9 yr old car might be expected to have significant mileage.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sold car "As Is" buyer now wants a refund [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, two days ago I sold a car that I was not aware had any issues. When the buyer was looking they drove it and looked at it extensively. I had driven the car regularly without any issues, but had just purchased another car. The purchaser did initially have a couple of concerncs and wanted me to...

Sold car on craigslist, buyer forced me to give refund [ 1 Answers ]

I sold my car on craigslist for $7,900.. kbb $8500 so good deal for this car. Anyway, the buyer writes me two checks , one for $7500 and the other for $400. He only had the $7500 available and told me to wait to cash the $400 check till Monday.. he bought on a Friday. Originally the buyer bought...

Sold car but after 3 days old fault came back and buyer wants refund [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I have sold my car privately and was sold "as seen". All reciepts were viewed by the buyer, except 1, this was for on oxygen sensor which has been replaced it was not intentionaly hidded but misplaced in my new cars logbook. Previously the engine management light was on showing a fault and to...

View more questions Search