Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    f25082 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2012, 05:42 PM
    Father rights
    What are the fathers rights before, after, and during birth if not married in North Carolina?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 17, 2012, 05:46 PM
    Same rights as any father.

There are no rights until the child is born. Afterwards the father has to file for joint custody to enforce his rights.

In the meantime I would suggest filing with NC's Putative Father's Registry.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 17, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Agree, being married or not, does not give or take away any rights. Once the child is born he has the right to file for joint custody or for visits. If not listed on birth certificate he will need to file to prove paternity though court ordered DNA tests
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Feb 18, 2012, 07:51 PM
    And as far as "during" birth---the mother calls ALL of the shots.

If she doesn't want you there, believe me--the hospital WILL prevent you from being there.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rights of step-father vs biological father upon mothers death. [ 2 Answers ]

I would like to know if there is any way in which I can assure that my 7 year old son will remain with my husband if something were to happen to me? Biological father is in military and has paid child support as ordered, he has not made any effort in the last 3 years to contact our son and before...

Does a step father have rights if no father is listed on birth certificate [ 4 Answers ]

My daughter is 8yrs and my husband has been the one that has taken care of her since she was 2 yrs. Her bio father isn't listed on her because but we have had a dna test done. He doesn't want to be part of her life but doesn't know if he wants to sign over his rights! Does my husband have any...

I want to take away paternity rights from my child's father and father agrees [ 3 Answers ]

I want to terminate paternity rights, my sons father does not pay child support & I am not seeking any. He has little or no involment in my sons life. How do we go about terminating paternity?

Parental rights of the father after signing over rights in adoption [ 2 Answers ]

My son is nineteen he and his girlfriend hide her pregnancy for six months, during that time they met a couple and decided to put the baby up for adoption. After we found out about the baby they told us that they had started the process of adoption. My son said he had signed over his parental...

Do my father ex-girlfriend or her kids have any rights to my father property? [ 2 Answers ]

My father is deceased and own a property that he let his ex-girlfriend stay in. Recently she moved into a senior center and now her niece think she have rights to this property and refuses to hand over the keys. Do the ex-girlfriend or her niece have any rights to my father's property and if not...

View more questions Search