Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tiff1985 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2012, 07:33 AM
    How do I change my son's surname?
    My son is 6 and his dad has nothing to do with him he has my maiden name but would like to change it to my married name would my husband have to adopt him or can we do it a easier way
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Feb 17, 2012, 10:37 AM
    A name change will require consent from the father. So would an adoption. Changing his name has nothing to do with making you a legal family, so if that is your goal, you want to pursue a step-parent adoption. An attorney can prepare the petition if the father is willing to consent.
    sabatino Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2012, 10:57 AM
    I was able to change my 2 children's last name legally because the biological father did not pay child support in over a year. You might want to check with child support and see what the law is in your state. I love in Texas.
    Good Luck and God Bless

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Surname change [ 1 Answers ]

I am from kottayam in kerala. I got married six months back.I want to change my wife's surname.is it enough that I publish in the gazette.how do I do it.do I have to get the form from govt press in trivandrum and submit it there.or is there any provision to do it from kottayam itself

My grandson has his mothers surname, not my son's? [ 1 Answers ]

When my son's girlfriend gave birth to his son, she did not put his name on the birth certificate, and the child has her surname, when asked why I was never given a straight answer, my son pays child support, and has been responsible for him, they do not live together any more, I have always...

My son's biological father is facing murder charges, can I change his surname? [ 1 Answers ]

I have been divorced from my ex-husband for 5 years, and we have a 10 year old son. I have since remarried, and we have primary custody. My son's father has been in a steady downward spiral for the last several years. I found out this morning that he has been arrested and charged with murder. ...

Can I change my son's surname on his birth certificate [ 12 Answers ]

My son was born in 2001 and due to very personal circumstances his father remains unknown. At the time of his birth I gave him my married surname because that is the name I was using then. I have since gone back to my maiden name and would like to have his surname changed to MY maiden name as well,...

Changing my son's surname [ 1 Answers ]

I live in the UK. Ten years ago I met and had a relationship with someone by whom I became pregnant. I had a son. The father couldn't be bothered to even turn up for the birth and wanted me to go partying with him the next day as I lay recovering from a Caesarian. I should have realised...

View more questions Search