Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    S SID Posts: 91, Reputation: 11

Feb 16, 2012, 04:28 AM
    Polish meanings
    Hi,
    I want to know the polish meaning for the word "seance", just séance not séance this or séance that.

Thanks.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
    Do you mean you want the Polish WORD for "seance"?

It's a masculine noun, "seans."

Feb 16, 2012, 11:55 AM
    No, the meaning of the word "seance" in Polish
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by S SID View Post
    no, the meaning of the word "seance" in Polish
    Noun, feminine, "sesja" or Noun, neuter, "posiedzenie"

Feb 16, 2012, 12:53 PM
    Sesja? I want to know the English translation for what séance means in Polish, so in other words what does "seans" mean.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
    Sesja? I want to know the English translation for what seance means in Polish, so in other words what does "seans" mean.
    Seans means séance. It means the same thing as in English, a session with a fortune teller or one who brings a dead spirit into the room.

Feb 16, 2012, 01:08 PM
    Nope, my partner is Polish, we went to a movie last night which she said was a séance, "a meeting of people" usually to see a move, so I explained doesn't mean that in English etc and said if that was the real translation then I could go to a football séance, i.e a group of people watching a match, aparantly I'm totally wrong, lol.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 16, 2012, 01:29 PM
    Nope, my partner is Polish, we went to a movie last night which she said was a seance, "a meeting of people" usually to see a move, so i explained doesn't mean that in English etc and said if that was the real translation then i could go to a football seance, i.e a group of people watching a match, aparantly i'm totally wrong, lol.
    Yes, it's "real" meaning is indeed "session" or "sitting", just like in French, but it can be expanded from there to mean almost any kind of session, as you say, for an event.

Feb 16, 2012, 01:38 PM
    The English meaning of sitting or session comes from the original french meaning of séance, we do what we usually do and adapted it to English and tweeked it, but aparantly if I said to a Polish person I went to a séance last night they would assume I'd been to a movie, hence why I want to know the actual polish meaning of séance.
    A seans spirytystyczny is what we know to be a séance.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
    In basic terms, 'seans' means 'talking to the dead'.

This is an interesting question, and I do speak a little Polish. If it means what I think it does, I would advise you have nothing to do with a ouja board in Polish or any other language.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 16, 2012, 01:47 PM
    We could have cut out all of these answers and explanations, if OP had originally settled on last explanation. OP still hasn't explained why they want to know this particular information; I am curious.

Tick

Feb 16, 2012, 01:51 PM
    No no no, if you read my previous posts you'll see was an inoccent mistake, my partner is polish and speaks and writes very good English although from time to time we have a misunderstanding, she tell me a seans is basically people going to a movie, in french it's séance de cinema so I'm asking the actual Polish meaning for their word seans. We have many Polish to English ditionary which only cofuses matters as they translate it to séance but doesn't give the Polish meaning as we would have in a normal English ditionary.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Words and meanings [ 1 Answers ]

Please can someone explain to me how jogging can be debilitating? Thank You

Poem meanings [ 4 Answers ]

What is the meaning of , the new moon with the old moon in her arm?

A diference in Meanings? [ 9 Answers ]

I have a quick question. Is there a difference in telling a girl that you are in love with them and telling them that you love them?

Double meanings [ 3 Answers ]

1. THINGY (thing-ee) n. Female... Any part under a car's hood. Male... The strap fastener on a woman's bra. 2. VULNERABLE (vul-ne-ra-bel) adj. Female... Fully opening up one's self emotionally to another. Male... Playing football without a cup. 3. COMMUNICATION (...

View more questions Search