Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    discombobul8d Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2012, 03:58 PM
    Numbness & Tingling in both hands`
    I have had some numbness and tingling in both hands off and on for several years. My newest doctor tested me for Carpal Tunnel even though I told him I was pretty sure it was because of my neck. He had the results of my MRI in front of him from the day before so after he conducted the nerve test, he looked at those results and decided that it was indeed stemming from my neck. I have 2 bulging disks in my neck, one in my lower back close to a previous fracture of the L1 & L2 and several bone spurs down my spine. My question is: for the past 2 or 3 days, I can't seem to find a position of any kind to relieve the stress on the nerves on my neck and I just imagine how swollen those disks are right now. I am allergic to NSAIDS and I haven't found any relief. I was awakened at 3:30 this morning with the pain feeling like my fingers were going to split open. This only seems to include my 2 middle fingers and thumb on both hands occasionally affecting all my phalanges. It's been over 12 hours and the pain has not let up in my left hand and my right will start and go away within 30 minutes. Is there anything I can do to relieve this or anything they could possibly do at the ER? I can't work like this as I use my hands and this is too painful and causes me to drop things. I have had 5 injections in my neck to reduce the swelling and provide relief, but don't have insurance now to begin another series.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Feb 11, 2012, 04:12 PM
    Have you tried inversion therapy to decompress your neck and spine? You want your cervical vertebrae to open up so that the discs will slip back in, although if they are swollen, they would first have to return to near-normal size.

I suggest you visit a well-recommended chiropractor who could assess your situation and give you tips to help yourself. Work out a payment plan. Walk out the door if he tries to sign you up for the rest of your life or cure everything else that's wrong with you.

Shiatsu (acupressure) or acupuncture treatments might be very helpful too.
    mars918 Posts: 6, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2012, 11:37 PM
    I also have a bulging disc in my neck (c5-c6). My doctor thought from the start it was carpal tunnel, and I do have carpal tunnel, but I insisted it was my neck. Got an MRI of my neck, showed the bulging disc pressing on my spinal cord, yet my Dr. still thinks it's the carpal tunnel. I insisted on my neck being treated first, so I started PT 2 weeks ago. Stretching my neck has been making it worse in my opinion. But cervical traction seems to help a lot. It feels so good. You might want to give that a try. A lot of people sell Cervical Traction units on eBay fyi. Good luck!
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Feb 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
    I'm right there with you, been there, done that. Floating in water will help, but sometimes that's not that easy to do, Hard to find a place you like. The shots you got in your neck were they call facets. There is another step to take its called radio-frequency-nerve blocks. They last longer each time you get one. The last one I received lasted over a year. It helped my tingling and my headaches, and neck shoulder pain. I know you said you have no insurance but this does help. Don't go to the chiropractor, they said too much stuff and go wrong. I have what you have but with one more thing my spine is fusing together also. In my cervical and lumber and thoracic spine. Its called D.S.I.H. desiase, or foresstor desiase. Good luck! I hope I helped a bit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Numbness and tingling in right arm only [ 0 Answers ]

I cannot take the pain anymore. I've have carpal tunnel surgery in both wrists about 2 years ago with great results but this tingling and pain in my right arm from my shoulder to my fingertips deep inside has got to be something. I've tried lowering my hand to see if maybe it's a circulation...

What does it mean when you have tingling and numbness in your right little finger? [ 3 Answers ]

My little finger on my right hand has had a dead feeling(numb and tingly) all week. I don't know what is causing this.

Numbness and tingling in right hand [ 5 Answers ]

I've been expercing numbness and tingling in my right hand for a while now, I've been boiling garlic as a natural remedi and would like to counitue to take natural remedies over prescription drugs the garlic works at least for that day. If I don't drink the tea, my hand feels numb and tinglt...

Numbness and tingling [ 1 Answers ]

First off. I'm making an appointment with my doctor. I'm kind of hoping for some opinions and possibly some other things I should think to tell her about when I see her. Following are the symptoms I'm having: Tingling and tenderness on my right side, about midway up my torso. It has been...

Tingling and Numbness [ 6 Answers ]

Yesterday I woke up. Came out to use the computer and leaned my arm on the arm rest. My arm from the albow and up half way was completely numb and tingling. It has not gone away. This is the second day and still feeling the same way. Anybody experience this for a long time? Joe

View more questions Search