Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foxyaudi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2012, 11:55 AM
    Water problem in new construction
    Hello:
    My son is building a brand new house in Toronto. After demolition and prior to building new footings, water began to seep up from below and flood the floor area. He is pumping it out but this problem will most likely continue.
    How should he proceed?
    The footings are scheduled to be done tomorrow (Monday Feb 6). The proposed height of the basement is presently 9'
    Should he sacrifice one foot of the basement height, add one foot of gravel and build up slightly or just go ahead?

Help!
    d.o._1 Posts: 12, Reputation: 3

Feb 5, 2012, 09:17 PM
    Sounds like your at ground water level which means the sump pump may run constantly! (not good!) Maybe do a quick study of seasonal water table levels of the area. Maybe a 'French Drain' system if there's somewhere to divert the water to. Or, maybe you'll have to sacrifice. There are alternatives. Maybe do some fast research in the morning. Concrete contractors are usually in a hurry to get work done in this weather! I know; I work for one! Best of luck!
    foxyaudi Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2012, 10:39 PM
    Thank you for taking the time to write. We very much appreciate it.
    We've decided to halt everything in order to do some research, in line with your thinking. There's no point in rushing the job and risking serious liability in future. As well, every problem becomes a learning experience.
    We have contacted the architect who will consult an engineer. In addition, the city inspector will be coming by tomorrow. What we hope to learn from all this is specifically what to do.
    Fingers crossed!
    Thanks again.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 12, 2012, 09:42 AM
    Have you considered installing a french drain? This would drain the water off to an dry well or lower ground?
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central heating problem or water meter problem? [ 3 Answers ]

We live in an apartment building and the individual water usage is measured by private water meters (mechanical). When the apartment was built, 2 years ago, some of the meters had been fitted the wrong way (in reverse). Yesterday a plumber attended to rectify 3 meters. My 2 neighbours meters were...

What the problem if my cold water work but I get no water out of my hot water tap [ 3 Answers ]

My cold water is working OK but my hot water is a trickle then stops and that if for hours what could be the problem

Water leak in slab construction [ 6 Answers ]

How can I locate a small leak in my concrete slab floor. Copper supply line is buried in the slab. Leak can be heard but water not evident... the water must be absorbed through to the earth below.

Hot water to 3rd floor in new construction [ 5 Answers ]

I have a newly built townhouse with a shower on the 3rd floor. Water heater in on 1st floor and turned it up 2 notches as soon as we moved in because shower hot water was lukewarm on full blast. Problem is that hot water is close to scalding on 1st and 2nd floors but not nearly that hot in shower...

Running new water lines in slab construction [ 5 Answers ]

If you want to replace the water lines in a slab, one story house, can you just go up into the attic and come down to each fixture? When going from an existing copper line to cpvc, can you use one of those male adapters like you would use on a shower body or water heater? Also, water heater...

View more questions Search