Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stargazer107 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 08:49 PM
    Mysterious object in the sky
    I need an opinion. So as I was looking up in the sky with my telescope tonight I noticed a very bright object in the sky. I was literally convinced it was a plane headed straight for me until I focused on it with my telescope. It then jumped out at me with a bright orange color and seemed as if it were spinning at high speeds as it moderately fell behind the mountain. I was trying to guess things like meteorite or satellite or something. Then as it fell behind the mountain the top of the mountain lit up where the object was falling... I may sound dumb asking this but can someone tell me what it was. I am convinced it was some sort of meteorite but I have never seen one acually fall so I can't be sure. Any ideas?
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2007, 08:58 PM
    It sounds like a meteorite to me. My parents seen one and it was similar to what you described but a lot closer.
    ANETGames Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Mar 16, 2007, 08:32 PM
    Yes. I'd almost bet that it was a meteorite, because the gasses in the earth's atmosphere often emit a strong orange glow when they're burning up an object. Usually, the glow would last until the object reached close to the ground, then it should have dimmed away.

I've heard numerous accounts of glowing objects, and they have all turned out to be meteorites.
    TechSupport Posts: 43, Reputation: 5

May 3, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Meteors burn up in the atmosphere because they are traveling fast. REALLY FAST. If you had time to focus on it with a telescope, then I doubt it was a meteor unless it was coming straight for you, in which case the angular velocity would be closer to zero and it would just look like it was getting bigger to you.

Did you see any sort of trail? Hear any sort of sound? Again, meteors are moving at speeds typically faster than 50km per second, and most in the range of 70km per second. That's more than 150,000 miles per hour. At most, the atmosphere is about 100km thick, so it takes no more than 2 seconds for a meteor to burn up into dust, usually.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Name and Artist (And I swear, By the moon and the stars in the sky) [ 13 Answers ]

I am looking for the name and artist of the song that goes like this: And I swear, by the moon and the stars in the sky, I'll be there. I swear, like a shadow that's by your side, I'll be there. For better for worse, til death do us part, I'll love you with every beat of my heart, I swear. ...

Object in nose [ 8 Answers ]

:eek: Does anyone have any advice on getting an objecrt out of a child's nose? One of my son's stuck a bead in his nose and he is too young to blow, so it won't come out. It is not blocking his airway but I don't think it should stay in there. If nothing comes up I think I am taking him to the...

Does anyone know about the sky calf isolater [ 5 Answers ]

Does anyone know about the sky calf isolater if it works or doesn't if someone does write back.:(

Whale live on Sky News! [ 7 Answers ]

Holy mackarel.Take a read of this: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4631396.stm For UK,and International viewers,where appropriate,look at Sky News,as it's live now!! Apparently,a second whale has been seen,at Southend-on-sea. I hope they end up okey.Reminds me of Hitchhiker...

View more questions Search