Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PatsFanInIndy Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2012, 03:43 PM
    My girlfriend and I are on a break
    My girlfriend has requested for me to give her space and time she needs to find herself. She says she is just really confused and that she loves me but that she doesn't think she is getting her full college experience because she has to worry about me, worry about school, worry about friends, and it is really taking a toll.

We had a long conversation about how our break is going to work and that since I will be back home (we were CD before LD) in about 39 days that no matter what we want to see each other even if it is just to see how the other is doing, getting back together, or saying our final goodbyes.

I have lots of time to think about my life and situation and was just looking to type out some small details and see if anyone else has done this "break" thing. I'm hoping for the best and I have no reason to think it won't. We wouldn't have been together for almost 2 1/2 years, get through all our fights and difference, and just throw it all away due to stress.

Of course, being in an LDR we don't know if everything going on is true but I trust her more than anyone in the world and I believe every word she said to me about just needing the time to miss me (since we talk A LOT every day), she needs time to focus on school (she failed 2 classes last semester), and she just needs to have her social life. I love her to no end and won't be doing anything stupid in the next 37 days for sure. Just wanted to see what you all thought since you all give amazing advice.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 03:55 PM
    Ninety-nine per cent of the time a "break to find myself" means a permanent break.

She thinks she has to "worry about [you]"? Why is that? Translated, that means she can't date anyone else because she's obliged to remain true to you. If you agree to a "break," she can play the field and avoid feeling guilty ("getting her full college experience"?). If she's in a committed relationship with you, she won't have to confess "infidelities" to you.

Mature couples don't take "breaks." They fish or cut bait. They work together to help each other and improve the relationship.

Trust me--been there, done that, as have many others, as attested to if you read similar threads on this site. She has already decided she wants a permanent break, and this is her way to slide into that by letting you down gently.

Jan 31, 2012, 05:33 PM
    This is just my first LDR (spawning from a CDR) and it's really rough. We got through 5 months but I think what she wants is to go out, talk to guys, flirt, and all that jazz to see if she really wants to be with me for the rest of her life like she has said in the past. It's normal for college freshmen to want to get out, party, and meet new people. So I'm giving her that option because I love her enough to let her go if I have to.. She seems to just be confused with what she wants and I'll give her that time to figure it out. It's a 50/50 shot that I have to take I guess..
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 31, 2012, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanInIndy View Post
    It's a 50/50 shot that I have to take I guess..
    I'll put money on the 90-10 shot that she has already decided on a permanent break and is letting you down easy.

Jan 31, 2012, 07:48 PM
    I want to believe you but it's hard. I know that you know what you're talking about but everyone's situation is different.. I'll try the NC thing and wait out my time until I'm home and then see what goes from there.
    kcthatsme Posts: 23, Reputation: 6

Feb 3, 2012, 02:24 PM
    College is stressful and her life is completely different now. She is making new friends, trying to get good grades and there are many temptations that she will have to endure. Let her grow up and figure things out. If she loves you, she will be back. If not... then it wasn't meant to be. But, irregarless... give her the space she needs. Not much else you can do being so far away right?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend needs a break, wants to be my girlfriend again, but feels she can't. [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, A month ago I found out my GF lied to me about a picture she sent me around the time we started talking online, almost 2 years ago. Since then we started dating in the real world and the picture never came up again. Until I found out through a friend she wasn't the girl in the picture. ...

Girlfriend wants to take another break [ 2 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I have been dating for a little over 3 months. About 2 months ago she found out she had hsv 1 ( a form of herpes which is cold sores). I told her I'd stick by her side no matter what. So we took a little 2 week break. During this time I found out I unknowingly gave it to her....

What do you do if your girlfriend wants to break up with you but you don't want to [ 3 Answers ]

Me and my girlfriend have been going out for at least 2 weeks but people start bothering us and out of nower my girlfriend says to me that if I want to break up with her. I don't want to break up with her because I love her?

Girlfriend of year and half wants a break/break up [ 14 Answers ]

Hello everyone. This is my first time posting hopefully you guys can help me out here. I have been with the same girl for on off about 3 years now. The most recent time we have been going out has been a year and a half and now all of a sudden she wants a break/breakup. I guess I kind of saw...

How do I tell my girlfriend I want to take a little break. [ 15 Answers ]

This is my first post here. I was just doing some searching and I fell upon this site. How do I tell my girlfriend that I want to take some time off from the relationship. Reason being, I feel like I need to find and define myself as a person. I definitely do not want to completely break up...

View more questions Search