Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bredin01 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2012, 02:48 PM
    2000 Toyota Sienna MPG Issue
    Can anyone offer advice as to why my mpg has suddenly decreased from an average 18 mpg down to 13mpg? I have checked and had completed all of the obvious things like a tune up, air filter, O2 sensors, exhaust check, etc. It has about 129K on it.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2012, 03:43 PM
    Check/replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor and the MAF Sensor.
    bredin01 Posts: 71, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2012, 03:47 PM
    Tx Grease Monkey, I already checked the ECT, what is the "MAF" sensor?
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2012, 05:49 PM
    Make sure the tires are at 35psi, and no brakes are causing a drag on a wheel.
    The MAF (mass air flow) meter is on the intake hose leading up to the throttle body.
    It looks like a jet engine when you pull it out. The vortex of air travels through it and no dirt or contaminates, should be on it.
    Cleaned once in a while with electronics cleaner helps fine the tune.
    This time of year, longer time needed to run rich fuel mixtures until engine warm up contributes to less mpg's. These 02's you mentioned. They're new or original?
    You should be 18 or above.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2012, 06:47 PM
    Using full synthetic engine oil and transmission fluid will improve gas mileage in the winter.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Toyota 2000 rav4 alarm [ 0 Answers ]

I have a 2000 rav4 that has a remote with an alarm. Is there suppose to be a switch or something where I can just use the remote without the alarm

2000 toyota celica gt [ 3 Answers ]

I've had it tested and the error code is p1310 and p0303 I've tested the volts coming from the ecm they are between .5 and 4.5 the ignition coil has 12v going to it. I even looked at the fuel injector and cleaned it out. I also replaced the number 3 ignition coil and it idled worse. When you...

Oil light flashing on 2000 toyota sienna [ 1 Answers ]

I have checked the oil level and it's okay. I don't know if it is the oil pump or not, does anyone know how I can check to see if it is the oil pump? Has anyone had this problem before because I hear that the toyota sienna's are notorious for oil sludge build up which can lead to a bad oil pump....

Overheating 2000 Toyota Solara [ 2 Answers ]

I have recently bought a 2000 Toyota Solara from a guy who runs an auto repair shop next door to where I work.It has approx. 115,000 miles on it. And it is nice, but... Since we have put the car on the road, if you drive it on a more than 30 mile trip it overheats and smells like burning oil-then...

View more questions Search