Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jemz2185 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 03:10 AM
    Pyrenean Mountain Dogs
    I have a Pyrenean Mountain Dog she is 9 years old.
    Recently I've found that she is discolourin round the back legs towards her belly area she is pure breed and pure white and the discolourin is like an orangy/brown which is very noticeable, she always scratches the areas she has not got fleas but when you look at the area you can see what looks like black dots (they don't move or have legs or nething) she bleeds when you get them off the skin but then she stops scratchin! I have no idea what this is do you?

I can't afford to go to the vet but if anyone knows what it is and can give me advice on shampoo or anything id be very much apprciated

Jemz
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2007, 06:30 AM
    The dog really needs to see a vet, I am not sure anybody here will be able to help. Is she getting a good diet? Most dogs will thrive on most chows if they are fed it and little else. If you are adding that is or that to her diet, it may not be the complete and balanced diet dogs need. You could look at the AVMA site, AVMA Brochures You could also find breed specific information at American Kennel Club - akc.org
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 12:38 PM
    Jemz. I know that money can get a bit tight, but you need to listen to labman. We are online and cannot see the dog to be able to correctly tell you what is going on. It could any number of things. You have an absolutely beautiful breed of dog. Her scratching is a sign that she is very uncomfortable. Please take her in to see a vet so that she can get the proper treatment she deserves and receive relief from her discomfort.
    jemz2185 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Thanks guys she gets a really good diet althou she was mis treated as a puppy we rescued her and brought her bak to life as such. I will go to vets as soon as I can tank you once again
    Jemz x
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 9, 2007, 09:42 AM
    The black specs you see are called flea dirt-they are actually the feces of the blood meal the fleas consumed from your dog-that's why it turns red when washed off. The classic flea dermatitis pattern is on the back of the legs and around the tail. Contrary to popular believe, you WILL NOT SEE FLEAS ON YOU DOG unless you have a severe infestation. Fleas hop on, bite, get off. Call your vet for a prescription of Advantage or whatever they recommend. The orange stains you see are contributed to saliva stains as your dog has been licking and chewing at himself because it itches. Be aware that a secondary skin infection can arise from this situation. Don't waste your $ on store bought remedies-they do not work! The vet has the good stuff!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2007, 10:27 AM
    It could be fleas, but your original post didn't sound like it to me. I was imagining something adhered to the skin that bled when you scraped it off. Flea feces usually are loose and feel gritty. I learned about feeling for flea feces from my visually impaired friend. Washing them loose would dissolve them and look like blood. Water or saliva would spread the color to the white fur. Flea problems are usually the worst at the base of the tail, not down on the legs. Removing the flea feces shouldn't relieve the itch either. Usually in the northern hemisphere, fleas aren't a problem in February, although once established, you could have fleas over winter in your home.

I agree that the presence of the feces is a much more sensitive sign than if you see fleas. If they turn red when you wet them, that is another sign it could be fleas. Are you using any flea remedy? For a long time when I only had one dog, I was able to keep it free of fleas without using much except a little flea spray occasionally.

A 6 pack of a good flea remedy will run as much or more as an office call. Unless it really seems to be fleas, I would put my money into a office call. The vet may want to see the dog before letting you have the flea remedy if that is what you need. Did you find anything in the reading I suggested?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Hot Dogs For Dogs [ 7 Answers ]

My 20 Month Old -13 Lb Female Shih Tzu Has Always Been A Picky Eater. Recently We Gave Her A Beef Hot Dog... she Won't Eat Anything Else. I Give Her 2 Hot Dogs At Noon & 2 At 6pm... she Lovvvvvvvvves Them & Is Happy As Can Be. Am I Feeding Her Too Much & Is She Getting Proper Nutrition? Thank You

Mountain Height Problem [ 1 Answers ]

I just wanted to make sure I'm doing this right, because I'm not positive I am. Mountain Height Problem: A surveying crew has the job of measuring the height of a mountain. From a point on level ground they measure an angle of elevation of 21.6 degrees to the top of the mountain. They move...

Mountain chains that border great mid-continental basin [ 1 Answers ]

What are the two major mountain chains that border the great mid-continental basin drained by the Mississippi River system?

Rats, holes and a mountain house [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a house in the local mountains. The house had been vacant and after finding some mouse droppings I placed some poison pellets to get rid of them. After more investigation I found that under the house (in the build out) there was not only mice but rats. Enough of them that I could see them...

View more questions Search