Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nfacciolo Posts: 33, Reputation: 2

Feb 14, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Four wheel drive motor
    My local Ford dealership told me that my battery keeps going dead because the "four wheel drive motor has burned out and keeps draining the battery. The repair $600.00? Before they replaced the battery they told me it was fine then they say it has a bad cell. Sound right to you?
    cjcdallas Posts: 63, Reputation: 6

Feb 14, 2007, 08:21 PM
    Only way to test the battery is to load test and most Autozone stores will do it for you on the car in hopes you will buy one at their store if it is bad.
    Now for the 4 wheel drive motor... the only 4 wheel drive motor on any vehicle I ever heard of is the same one that runs your vehicle itself. Most 4 wheel drives (I ever heard of) have the motor, transmission and transfer case. All pretty basic in all vehicles and the 4 wheel drive is engaged either mechanically with a lever, hydraulically with a button/switch or in some cases by vacuum. At the end of the actuator regardless of which type of activation to my knowledge there is not a separate motor. You could have an indicator light that stays on but that is about all I know about that and all I could find looking through a Chiltons Manual for Ford trucks.
    So to answer your question... No it does not sound right on the 4 wheel drive motor. THe battery.. It is possible that when they checked it it was good. Then a few days/weeks later it goes bad. That is very possible. That kind of thing happens. My best guess is you do not trust them and if that is the case you should try somewhere else before doing the repair they say is needed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drifting with a front wheel drive car [ 21 Answers ]

Hi everyone... I drive a 93' toyota great corolla. I'm wondering, is it possible to drift using a front wheel drive car like mine? If it is, can anyone tell me how to do it... Thanks for your answers...

1999 Toyota Tocoma 4 wheel drive [ 1 Answers ]

When it gets cold outside I have trouble getting the truck to go forward until it warms up a long time. I can back up fine I just can't go forward. If I try to go forward (give it gas) my back tires will spin but the truck won't move. This is in regular drive position, not 4-wheel. After it warms...

Mower wheel locked [ 1 Answers ]

I have a toro self-propelled mower. I was mowing today and all-of-a-sudden the rear left wheel locked. Any ideas?

Tilt-wheel steering wheel problem [ 1 Answers ]

On my 1998 Buick Park Ave the tilt-wheel will no longer change positions. A couple of days ago I got in the car, adjusted the steering wheel and heard something Pop. Since then, the steering wheel will only stay in that position. Does anyone know how I might go about fixing this problem? ...

View more questions Search