Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ethelann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 01:57 PM
    Buying house, been evicted, pay rent
    My landlord has been trying to sell the house I live in for a year. He told me to move out on the first of January. I did not and paid him rent for the month. He took me to court to evict and gave me 30 days. In the mean time, I gotten financing and all is approved. We are supposed to sign the papers 2/15/07. The landlord is expecting rent for the time I have lived there in February. Do I have to pay this since he is evicting me even though I have bought the house? This is taking place in Texas.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 02:04 PM
    You stayed in the house, you owe the rent.
    ethelann Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.yet
    You stayed in the house, you owe the rent.
    The purchase agreement is back dated to show lease with option. The papers are supposed to be signed tomorrow. The court date was 1/23/07 and he got and signed the papers 1/30/07. Does paying for this month still apply?
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 02:22 PM
    YOu would only owe for the 15 days, nothing more, ask him since you are buying the house to forget about the 15 days since he will be recevied payment for the home.
    landlord advocate Posts: 283, Reputation: 36

Feb 15, 2007, 06:48 AM
    The Seller can not charge rent for a property he no longer owns. If you have a security deposit with him, be sure to get it back ASAP.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2007, 07:05 AM
    The only date that matters is the closing date. On the closing date ownership passes to you. Until that date, you own rental for the property. This should be one of the checks you will be required to write at the closing.

What I don't understand is why he is pursuing the eviction. As soon as you signed a contract to buy the house, there is no question of evicting you. All you had to do is show up in court with a copy of that contract of sale and the eviction would be thrown out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay rent or quit notice [ 7 Answers ]

Renting an apartment in Kansas... just received a "quit or pay" notice "within 3 days". Can't pay. How long do I have before being evicted? What are the next steps? Thanks!

Tenant can't pay rent [ 4 Answers ]

I have been renting out rooms in my house to make ends meet until it sells . The renters knew it was for sale before they moved in . One of the renters told me she can't pay the rent this month cause she quit her job as it was to stressful . She also said if I had to evict her then do it . I am on...

Being evicted but I paid rent [ 2 Answers ]

My lanlord is taking me to court to evicte me for August rent but she filled the eviction papers on July 19th. I'm wondering if she is able to do that. I paid all of julys rent but late and also paid the late fee, today when I got the eviction papers they are for 400 dollars more than my rent even...

Pay Rent or Quit in PA [ 2 Answers ]

I have a tenant that I have repeatedly tried to work with over the course of his lease regarding paying the rent. It has gotten to the point where I can no longer deal with his inability to pay. Including late fees, he is currently $1,985 behind on rent. That's $625/month (@ 3 months) plus a...

Do I still have to pay rent? [ 1 Answers ]

I have received a letter from the landlords wife saying that she will try to keep all 8 properties that he owned, I talk to her personally and she said that she is trying to make ends meet as far as paying morgat and taxes out of her pocket, section 8 is not sending payments to her, As far as I'm...

View more questions Search