Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angelanorton73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
    Who's responsible?
    I have a fifteen yr old that lives at home and that decided to go have a baby well they both live in my house we don't get no help(welfare)or anything so my daughter says I have to give her all the tax money I would get for my grandaughter What are the laws on this and what should I do
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 14, 2012, 08:42 PM
    No, if it is your income tax you don't have to give the money to anyone. Why are you allowing your daughter to talk to you this way, without respect.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 08:07 AM
    If your making the claim under your taxes and they are dependents then its your money not hers. If she had an income and made out her own taxes then she could claim the child and reap the benefit.

Another thing with her being a teen is that there should be some help available (if in the United States) from programs like W.I.C.

Women Infant Children
    Mommi Posts: 42, Reputation: 9

Jan 16, 2012, 05:38 AM
    Depending on what state you are in your income may count against her ability to get WIC or food stamps. The calculator most likely to help you with that is this one. http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapply/incomeguidelines.htm

If your daughter is truly looking for ways to independently take care of her child I would suggest that she start with WIC and she can ask their office for other options for her to have resources to spend to care for her child. Child support would be another option she might want to pursue.

As for the child tax credit, I believe FR Chuck and Califdad are correct. It is a credit to the person paying for the child. If you are claiming her on YOUR taxes then the money goes to YOU.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I responsible [ 4 Answers ]

My husband died suddenly 1 mo ago... we had good credit which is no longer... I have lost more than half my income... unfortunately I can not pay the creditors of my husband... there was no will and no trust or accets, I am in an underwater mortgage which I am trying to get help with the...

Calgary, AB - Is landlord responsible to pay out DD-Or Is ex-roommate responsible [ 18 Answers ]

Calgary, AB I have just recently moved out of a house I was living in with a couple roommates. I am having troubles getting my damage deposite back. I need to know if it is the responsibility of the landlord to pay me out, or if it is up to my roommates to pay me my portion? Will I...

Who is responsible for this? [ 12 Answers ]

Who is primarily responsible for this happening? And then who also contributes to it happening? As the saying goes, "If you are not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem." How can we, as the world fix this? It is fixable. This is not to pull at anyone's heart strings - I...

Who Was Responsible? [ 8 Answers ]

This is a video from the families who fought to create the 9/11 Commission - and succeeded! Who was responsible for 9/11? Everyone needs to see this! 9/11: Press for Truth

Who's responsible? [ 1 Answers ]

I had braces removed after wearing them for several years in high school. After there removal my orth gave me a removable top retainer and a permanent bottom retainer. After a period my ortho clipped the ends of my permanent retainer making it not connect to all my front, bottom teeth. Soon after...

View more questions Search