Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miguelito3218 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 09:44 PM
    tub install
    Speedball: confused on how to install my whirlpool tub.

I need to put the tub pictured, into the enclove pictured. The tub is the proper hand side, its is just reversed in the picture. I'm also aware of the need to screw in stringers.

I have 2" inch riser for tub drain, but it's roughed in wrong:mad: :mad: I need to move it closer to the wet wall, about 10 inches, probably I'll use two 45's..this should be ok right? (i mis read the rough in and roughed in to the actual drain of the tub, not the tail pipe/drain)

However, my tail pipe on the tub looks like 1 1/4 brass. How do i connect it to my 2" pvc?

I'm confused as to how I would gain access to tighten the slip nut AND also lay down a morter bed for the fiberglass tub. As you can see, I don't have acces from the front. (or do you think the 2x4 space in front of the top would provide enough room to tighten the slip nut?)

I assume I can dig out some dirt, set the tub, tighten the slip nut from under the tub, then fill it back in with dirt, and morter. However, I don't see how the trap or connection could ever be serviced this way. Thanks a lot, this issue is holding up my project and has me stumped...
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 06:42 PM
    Well, it's kind of a balls-up at this point.

If digging the trap out is still an option (which it appears to be), then you should dig it up and replace the trap with an 1-1/2 trap, which is the correct size trap for a tub installation -- If you do this, make sure you use a 2"x1-1/2" reducing coupling instead of a 2"x1-1/2'" bushing -- The flat part of the bushing will create a shelf in the trap arm that will clog up with hair and tallow.

If you aren't too attached to the waste and overflow pictured, I'd suggest you return it and buy a Geberit 'Glue-Type' waste and overflow, which is cabled, and will allow you to off-set the overflow with 22's or 45's if this should become necessary.

Feb 14, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I ended up digging up the trap (it was only about 6 inches under) and moving it. That waste and overflow is made just for that tub, you are forced to use that one, as any other would not work.

Speedball recommended a 2" x 1 1/4" pvc pressure coupling, which I will try to locate.

However, I am still confused as to how I will have access to make the connection, once the tub is in place. I think I'm going to have to dig enough dirt out so that I can reach under the tub to make the connection, then back fill it with dirt, and force mortar under the tub for the base.
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 06:37 AM
    The skirt being in the way is going to be problematic, no doubt about it.

This may take a few dry-runs before you finally get it just right.

What I would do is get the trap and riser into the exact location required, glue the 1-1/2" trap adapter onto the riser, if the waste and overflow is in fact 1-1/4", I'd buy a 1-1/2x1-1/4 reducing washer, I'd then remove the threaded brass tail piece, wrap the threads a few turns with teflon tape and insert it into the trap adapter, tightening the slip joint nut of the trap adapter just enough to keep it from falling down into the riser.

After that, it should simply be a matter of installing the tub into it's location, reaching down between the head of the tub and the wall and pulling the threaded tail piece up and threading it into the bottom of the waste and overflow.

The threads of the tail piece are very fine, so be careful about cross threading it and ruining the threads.
    Attached Images

Feb 15, 2007, 06:50 AM
    Excellent... I will try to get in from the head of the tub. The tub is pretty high, so I hope I have long enough arms! Thanks for the help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Install slow Tub drain [ 3 Answers ]

I just remodeled my upstairs bathroom, I installed a new whirlpool tub, the drain that came with it is only 1 1/4 " and it drains very slow. I replaced all my drain lines down to the basement and everything else works great. But what I did do is put the tub trap in the floor. It was a 2" trap could...

Fiberglass Tub Install [ 7 Answers ]

I've been reading up on doing this and see that it is addressed here slightly, with the help of speedball1, I believe. Anyway, we want to do the job right and would like to know if there are specifics on the web on how to put the cement down. Do we frame in under the tub so the cement doesn't...

How to install a shower/tub on a slab? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1/2 bath in my basement (toilet and sink). House built in 1964. I would like to add a fiberglass shower/tub combo, however, there is no drain for a shower or tub. How difficult is it to cut the slab to allow installation of the drain line? -The shower/tub drain would be 6 ft. from the...

Basement Tub Install [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am just getting ready to frame the basement for a bathroom and have a few questions. We just recently had our house built and had 2 rough in's put into the basement that empty into a pit that has a grinder pump attached to it. Nothing is currently using the grinder pump, the first...

Install Whirpool Tub [ 8 Answers ]

I am going to install a whirpool tub in my basement bathroom. I have 1/2 inch copper running to the tub location. My question is: Is it OK to use flexible connections from the 1/2 inch copper to the hot and cold tub faucet? The people at the "local home store" tell me I will lose too much...

View more questions Search