Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aggiesrul1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Finding the magnitude of vectors
    :confused: does anyone know how to find the magnitude of a vector because I can add and subtract them and all that stuff but I can not find the magnitude and the heading... so if someone could help me that would be nice!:confused:
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2007, 11:19 PM
    As Pythagoras' theorem shows: the magnitude of a vector V is

For the heading you need to use basic trigonometry, form a triangle and use the lengths you know to work out the angle you need.
    asterisk_man Posts: 476, Reputation: 32

Feb 15, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Capuchin's answer is correct but I thought you might like to have it spelled out a bit more.
    Lets assume you have a vector V which starts at and ends at
    means "magnitude of V"

The direction can be found like capuchin said, with trig.

Here's the vector V starting at (x1,y1) and ending at (x2,y2).
    Code:
               (x2,y2)
               /|
              / |
            V/  |dy
            /   |
           /----|
    (x1,y1)  dx

Now you want the angle of the vector V. I found this image that will explain what to do. Replace the x and y with the dx and dy you found above. is the angle of V.

As an aside, Capuchin, |V| is the magnitude of V, do you recall what symbol is used for the angle of V? I feel like there is something but I can only recall how to denote the unit vector.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Feb 16, 2007, 12:30 AM
    I don't believe there is one, you just use I, j and k, the direction information is there :/

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need help finding someone [ 8 Answers ]

Hi my name is James Pawlik and I have been looking for an old friend I was in the Navy with I don't remember her ship because we only knew each other in (A) School and after graduation I never saw her again. I was just trying to see how she is and let her know how I am but I can't seem to find a...

Magnitude of P [ 3 Answers ]

A block of mass 8.00 kg is pushed up against a wall by a force P that makes a 50.0° angle with the horizontal. The coefficient of static friction between the block and the wall is 0.27. Determine the possible values for the magnitude of P that allow the block to remain stationary. Find N maximum ...

Calculating vectors [ 5 Answers ]

Hello. I'm having trouble with two questions regarding vectors. I'm not asking for solutions-just a step in the right direction. 1)A skater glides along a circular path of radius 4.90m. a)if he coasta around one half of the circle, find the magnitude of the displacement vector b)find how...

Vectors (For Computer Graphics) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Before I hit Google for what I needed I thought I'd ask here for some recommendations. I went to an interview for a job yesterday and they sprung a high level maths test on me. Unfortunately, the first question I had never seen the items in the question before (something about if...

View more questions Search