Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Prencie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 12:01 PM
    I did not sign a new lease?
    I have lived in my home for 2 years. I signed a 1 year lease when I first moved in. I did not sign a new lease.I did not sign a month to month lease. I am moving on yhe 13th of this month. He is saying I owe for a whole month. Do I pay a whole month or a half of months rent legally.
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
    You LEGALLY have to pay a FULL months rent... and you HAVE to give 30 days advance notice. A rental month is considered the First of the month to the last day of that month.

A month to month lease is legally implied... you don't sign that. It's the default condition in absence of a longer written lease. You should check your old lease and make sure there is not a clause where it automatically renews for a second year absent any written notice you intend to leave. Most don't have that, I've seen a few that do. Those tended to be apartments.
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Jan 10, 2012, 03:27 PM
    Yes. You pay by the month. Not the week, day or year. The landlord is not obligated to pro-rate your last months rent.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 03:59 PM
    The entire month, in fact you would have had to give them a full month notice. At the first of this month and owe the entire month.

Also, note, even when the lease expired, the terms of that lease turn into your month to month rental, so if it states 60 days, actually he can require that. It is the lease terms that decide how he returns your deposit and so on.

The lease expire only ends the date of rental, and allows him to raise rents.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 10, 2012, 04:55 PM
    Be happy that he only charges you for the month of January. You were required to give him proper notice of moving. Since you didn't tell us where you are or what the original lease stated, we can't tell you what proper notice is.

But its likely to be at least 30 days.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 05:33 PM
    Everyone will tell you that you owe for a full month, me too. However, not knowing what that first lease said about auto renewal it could have renewed as a full years lease. What was the anniversary date of the first lease?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant that refuses to sign new lease, what laws apply with month to month lease? [ 8 Answers ]

I am in CA and I have a tenant that has a 18 month lease that expires 10/31/10 and they want to go month to month starting 11/1/10 and I agreed. I sent them a new lease to sign, but they have not sent it back to me yet. If they refuse to sign the new lease in CA law do the terms of the old lease...

Breaking lease in Texas-Did not sign lease [ 2 Answers ]

I have shared a house for 15 months with two other roomates. There is a 2 year lease on the house. My name is on the lease with the other two roomates, BUT I did NOT sign the lease. I want to move out because I can no longer stand living with these two roomates. Am I free and clear to leave...

Name on Lease but did not sign [ 8 Answers ]

I live in VA. And am in a perdicament over a house. Two other tenets signed the lease. I stayed there a couple of weeks. I left the house but now the landloard is saying I am responsible to pay for some rent. My name was on a lease but I have not signed it am I obligated to the house.

Name on Lease but did not sign [ 2 Answers ]

I live in VA. Two other tenets signed the lease. I stayed there a couple of weeks. I left the house but now the landloard is saying I am responsible to pay for some rent. My name was on a lease but I have not signed it am I obligated to the house.

Did not sign lease [ 6 Answers ]

Someone added me to there lease as a occupant and I DID NOT sign any lease. Well now the person didn't pay as agreeded on there signed lease and the credit company is holding me responsible, what can I do about this? I have a copy of the lease and I am listed as a occupant but at the bottom of the...

View more questions Search