Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alex84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2012, 12:55 PM
    International student, question on the taxation on the income in the internet
    Dear experts,
    Let's say am a student on a student visa in US.
    I have an amateur website which generates some income since the times when I came from abroad. This website generates some modest income.
    As a person on a student visa, I am aware that I am not allowed to be self employed in US.
    (as in a question here, for instance: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/taxes/international-student-sell-stuff-website-pay-tax-not-381461.html)

My questions are:
    Does this kind of income considered as self employment in this country?
    If not then it means that it is not legal to owe a website while on a student visa in US?
    What is the proper way to pay the taxes from this kind income?
    Can it be considered as business in another country abroad? (the website works irrespective of the owner's residence)
    What if I start a new website while I am in US?
    Can I sell a website while I am in US and how does the taxation work in this case?

Thank you for reading,
    Alexander
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2012, 02:11 PM
    If the website was up and running PRIOR to your arrival in the United States, then the income from that webskite is considered to be FOREIGN-SOURCED and thus NOT subject to U.S. income taxes.

However, if you start the website while IN the United States, then, regardless of your visa status, it is considered to be U.S.-sourced income and subject to U.S. income taxes.

Whether you are in violation of your visa is a LEGAL question, NOT a tax question. That said, In my opinion, you ARE in violation of your student visa. Whether the violation is major or not would probably depend on the amount of income earned.
    Alex84 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2012, 11:30 PM
    Thank you for your explanation.

I would like to know one more detail, if, for example, I start a website which does not generate any income. Is it considered as any kind of business?
    When does it become a business? (Is it when I start using any advertisements to cover the expenses or at the moment the website is up?)

Alexander
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 08:01 AM
    Alexander:

The website becomes a business if and when it generates cash flow, be it from "donations", advertisement income, fees, etc.

If the website generates no cash, then it is NOT considered to be a business and the USCIS could care less about it.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 09:55 AM
    ATE, Alexander is now located in the U.S. You state that income from the first website is foreign source because it was created when he was outside the U.S. and income from the second website would be U.S. source because it was created when he was inside the U.S. Under this analysis, would you maintain that income from the second website will continue to be U.S. source income after Alexander leaves the U.S.

Would it make more sense to source the income to the location where the website computer servers are, rather than where the creator is located when the website is created?
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 3, 2012, 10:20 AM
    IntlTax:

If Alexander were here on a work (H or L) visa, then yes, the income earned while he is located inside the U.S. would be U.S.-sourced for the years he was a resident alien.

However, the OP states that he is a STUDENT, which is why I contend that his income is foreign-sourced.

The website was established while he was a resident in his home country, and I have successfully argued that suck website income is foreign-sourced in multiple tax returns of clients who established and managed websites where the server was in the U.S. (and thus had 30% of the income generated from those websites withheld by the server host and sent to the IRS), even though they have never set foot in the United States.

Under every tax treaty that I have reviewed, such income is taxable ONLY in the home country, and I have also successfully argued the same issue for foreign nationals in countries which have NO tax treaty with the U.S.

The argument is similar to when foreign nationals who trade stocks from their home country using U.S.-based brokerage accounts, and I normally can prevent the re-occurence of the 30% withholding by having the foreign national submit a W-8BEN with the server host.

BOTTOM-LINE: As long as the OP is a student, the website income remains foreign-sourced In my opinion. Once he becomes a resident, then the income becomes subject to U.S. taxes under the world-wide income requirement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I file 1040A as I am an international student and paying my Student loan in USA. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,I am an international student currently on OPT-F1 visa and working full time. I am paying my student loan in USA through citi bank.I am going to get the 1098e form from bank about $2800 interest or something.. I called many tax filers and telling me different forms.. I am so confused what...

Tax question for international student on opt.. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am an international student from India. I my currently on my OPT. Until graduation in May 2010 I was employed by the university in NC. I have received a W-2 for the same. After graduation, I started working for a company in VA. For this, I have received a 1099 Misc. How should I go about...

F1 International Student and Income oversea [ 8 Answers ]

Hi all, I just received the Green card Sep, 2009 from my husband, before that I was a f21 student. I have been using credit card under my fiancé (husband now)'s name to buy stuffs and send them back to my sister overseas who has her own business (giftshop) for 3 years now. My sister was my...

Tax query International student, bank income, tax rebate [ 2 Answers ]

1.Came from overseas, previously worked and saved some money, now a student with no employment; income being only the interest from bank. 2.How to pay tax on this since I do not have W-2, no withholding etc. 3. If someone goes back home overseas, now out of status but still has funds in US...

International Grad Student: New Hampshire income and Massachusetts residence [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a Grad student from India and I have received income from my university in New Hampshire. My current permanent address is in Massachusetts, though I have not received any income from Mass. Can anyone suggest me whether I need to file state tax return? If yes, will it be Form 1 or Form...

View more questions Search