Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CANDY5206 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 03:20 PM
    Work at home
    I Was Just Like To Know If There Are Any Real, Legitimate Work At Home Jobs. Are There Any That I Can Make Money At, That Won't Cost Me An Arm And A Leg?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 12, 2007, 03:22 PM
    Well Ebay is good for a start.
    Other than that you have to be really careful.
    Avoid anything that asks for an upfront fee, as they tend to be scams.
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 12, 2007, 03:42 PM
    There's no such thing as a free lunch. Any opportunity that you find for a home business will cost you either a lot of money or a lot of time... that's just the way of business (I work more hours for less pay in my own business than I do stocking shelves (to pay the bills), but such is the price of living the dream)

As Ben says, anything you pay up front for is likely a scam... never pay anything until you know all of the details about the business. Getting you to pay for some nebulous business opportunity is probably a large part of their business model (just like the best way to make a million dollars is to write a book "How to make a million dollars")

Find something you can do without much trouble... reselling things on eBay is a common one. Do some research on regular retail items that you can turn around and sell for a profit... I know some Hot Wheels cars that are on the shelf at Wal-Mart right now make good candidates for this, you just have to do the research. If you do any crafts, you may be able to sell the products. If you have any technical skills, you may be able to market them as a contractor... there are a number of websites out there for contractors to market themselves.
    jaynen76 Posts: 18, Reputation: 5

Mar 25, 2007, 01:47 PM
    Again, I want to share, as I have with a couple other posters, MOST legitimate businesses home-based or otherwise are going to require an investment. Jobs are free (and even those aren't really), businesses are not. I'll highlight some other things that I have not yet shed light on. Let's take a look at the "costs" associated with getting a good job:

- Nice suit; any job worth having, will require a nice suit for the face-to-face interview
    - Professionally organized resume; you may not pay someone to do your resume, but you will need to pay either for your own computer, printer, and ink or go to your local print place to have it drafted
    - Some situations require a uniform or a change in your wardrobe

These are just a couple of the costs associated with a job; most people don't pay attention to them, because they seem "normal," but that's because most people are so used to a job they don't even notice them.

Now, let's take a look at the costs of a business:

- REALTOR® (I like this one, because most people can relate)

Classes $200 - $500
    Licensing Exam $100 - $300 depending on the state
    National Board fees about $150
    Local Board fees $80 - $400 depending on the area
    Business cards $50 - $200
    Open House signs about $30 each
    Lock Boxes about $100
    Marketing Materials $50 - $500

That's a couple thousand dollars right there, but of course when we think about people making money we think about people in real estate. So, with that I say just use your own judgement and discern whether you think whatever opportunity is a scam. I have a home-based business that cost me a couple hundred bucks to get started and I walked away from my job back in December 2005 (my Christmas present to myself); so I guess if it's a scam I missed the memo.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 19, 2008, 12:24 PM
    Here is another view of MyPowermall:
    Zimbio Pilot - Work At Home
    It's packed with real life info - a good read for anyone considering it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Work at home [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everybody. Can anybody tell me about a genuine website to work from home

Need to know if anyone knows about work at home ? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if there is anyone that knows of a work at home place for typing or data entry that I will not have to pay them to work? THanks in advance.:confused:

Work at home [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Willing Tomake Some Extra Money And I've Traied Some Of This "work At Home" But Really I Don't Trust Them If Somebody Know About Any Of This Type Of Work That You Can Trust Please Tell Me Thank You ...

Work From Home [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking for a job I can do from home. I am not looking for a "get rich quick" job. I just need enough money to help pay the bills. I can type & print the pages out, use the internet, do something for mortgage companies with the loan applications, etc... Any suggestions on...

View more questions Search