Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pwd77 Posts: 185, Reputation: 3

Dec 19, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Rumbling plumbing when I turn the water on
    We get a rumbling in our pipes whenever we turn water on, especially when the washer is doing its rinse cycle, and later in the evening when we turn on the kitchen sink.

I recently fixed the pressure reducer valve, which dropped the incoming pressure from 80 psi to my set value of 60 psi. No help. Then I installed "mini water hammer arresters" at the washing machine hot and cold. Marginal improvement.

Does not seem to matter hot or cold water. The rumbling lasts about 3-4 seconds, then quickly tapers off.

If it is just normal rumbling that will not hurt the plumbing, I don't really care. It is an old (20's) house, so I am trying to baby it to keep the plumbing sound.

Thanks!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
    Have someone create the rumbling sound while you keep your hand on the reducer and the incoming main valve, I think one of them is vibrating. BTW 60 is still a bit high, I shoot for 45 psi

Dec 19, 2011, 12:12 PM
    So, nothing to worry about?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Dec 19, 2011, 01:00 PM
    If a washer or diaphram is vibrating it is failing and needs repair so I would worry.

Sep 12, 2016, 04:07 PM
    Old post, new insight
    Had a new water heater installed, and they put in a hot-water expansion tank at the same time.
    Voilą, the problem is gone.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2016, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pwd77 View Post
    Old post, new insight
    Had a new water heater installed, and they put in a hot-water expansion tank at the same time.
    Voilą, the problem is gone.
    Perhaps the expansion tank acts to prevent water hammer, at least on the hot side.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing water tank relation to cold water pressure? [ 6 Answers ]

I have shut off the main water feed at the road, shut off the main disconnect in the house to do an outside faucet line repair. I've got all the new pieces sweated into place, except for one. Back flow water continues to drip out of this one connection, preventing me from making my last solder. ...

Shower water shuts off during shower. Have to turn water off and turn back on [ 1 Answers ]

While showering the watr stops. I turn shower off and back on and water starts

Plumbing question, Winter vacation, turn off the Gas water heater or not [ 1 Answers ]

Going on a two months vacation in Jan and Feb. Home in NJ, should I turn off the Gas Water Heater and drain it ore not?

Plumbing and heating what happens if I turn my heatig off when I am not using it. Is [ 3 Answers ]

Plumbing and heating what happens if I turn my heatig off when I am not using it. Is it safe for the house and should I turn the water off also if the house is vacant?

Exterior Water Faucet will not turn. How do I get it to turn again. [ 2 Answers ]

I went to turn the water on in the back and it will not turn. How do I unlosen it? Thanks

View more questions Search