Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EndlichAllein Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2011, 08:04 AM
    How old do you have to be to get an apartment in Minnesota?
    I'm sixteen now and I'll be trying for emancipation either in the summer or fall after I turn seventeen. I was planning on living with a friend until I turned eighteen but I was wondering if I could get my own apartment before then. Any help?
    LILL Posts: 212, Reputation: 15

Dec 10, 2011, 09:00 AM
    Minnesota has no emancipation statute, but there is case law suggesting that a minor may emancipate through lawful marriage or through parental consent.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Dec 10, 2011, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LILL View Post
    Minnesota has no emancipation statute, but there is case law suggesting that a minor may emancipate through lawful marriage or through parental consent.
    So, to answer the question, a potential landlord probably would hesitate to sign a lease to the OP, because the OP doesn't have the legal capacity to enter into such a contract. If OP's parents, or another adult, will sign the lease, that might work.

Dec 10, 2011, 09:50 AM
    What? So if I want to get emancipated I have to either get married or have my mother sign something letting me go? Are you sure? What about in abusive cases? That can't be okay.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2011, 10:00 AM
    If there is a case of abuse you report it and you can be placed, in foster care until you reach 18. That is the law! Lill is correct that MN has no statutes permitting emancipation. Even in places where there are statutory laws for emancipation it is very difficult to get. Living with a friend won't cut it.

Until you reach the age of majority, 18, or get a court to emancipate you can't sign a lease or enter into a contract.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 10, 2011, 10:08 AM
    If you want to describe abuse, we might be able to give you some odds of what would happen if you report it.
    Be careful, though. It can hurt the people you are charging, and you could end up in foster care or some other place you will like even less.
    And if they are just mean verbally, that won't count.
    Sometimes jumping from the frying pan into the fire is worse.
    How will you get the money to live on your own? It's expensive.

Dec 10, 2011, 10:29 AM
    My mother is verbally, mentally and physically abusive. Though it isn't a punch to the face, it's more like she throws me into things and has slapped me so hard my nose began to bleed. It happens often enough now where I flinch when she reaches for me.
    I don't want to be placed in foster care, like you said, that may not be any better. What about when I'm seventeen? Can I move out early?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 10, 2011, 01:08 PM
    Where's your father in this scenario?

If your mother is as abusive as you say she very well may not care if you leave.

Have you asked her?

The question is how to get an apartment. Move out and move in with someone who is legal age.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 10, 2011, 01:12 PM
    Again the age of majority is 18. If you leave at 17 you could be considered runaway. Have you talked to a counselor at school?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I get emancipated in Minnesota? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 16 yrs.old, a senior in high school and I live in Minneapolis,Mn.I am in dying need to become emanciptaed but I don't know what's required to do so.Can someone please tell me how to get emancipated?

Minnesota Twins [ 2 Answers ]

Why do the Twins have the letter 'C' on their baseball caps?

Fire Damage to Apartment - Landlord using to upgrade apartment [ 8 Answers ]

Earlier this year my apartment was minimally damaged by a fire. The exact cause of the fire is unknown, however it is believed that my cat knocked something onto the stove which then turned on and burned the basket. Fire damage to the apartment was restricted to the kitchen stove area. Smoke...

View more questions Search