Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bananagirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 07:11 AM
    Keeping my child's last name the same as mine
    I have been a single mother since I was 4 months pregnant. The father decided to break our engagement and abandon myself and his unborn child and make no contact until one week after she was delivered. Of course it was hard to welcome him back(we aren't together but he visits her on the weekends) and we have had many struggles in the past 16 months. We are now at the point of setting up a visitation schedule. While reading over the agreement, I noticed that there was a clause stating that "both parties agree to change the child's name to Smith-Brown*". My daughter currently has my last name and that is what is on her birth certificate. Can they make me change her name? I don't feel comfortable with a hyphenated name. I live in Ohio and I am unsure of how a judge would rule in this situation. I am willing to go to court and fight this if I have to, but of course I don't want this to get ugly or cost a ton of money I would rather put away for my daughter! I would appreciate any advise/ similar stories to help ease my mind!
    KaishaJayne Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2007, 07:36 AM
    If your surname is on her birth certificate then I don't see it being allowed to be changed. Did you agree to the hyphenated name? If you didn't then make sure they know you didn't. I'm sorry I can't be much help, I don't really know the laws in America, but I would advise getting in contact with a law body.
    bananagirl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KaishaJayne
    If your surname is on her birth certificate then I don't see it being allowed to be changed. Did you agree to the hyphenated name? If you didn't then make sure they know you didn't. I'm sorry I can't be much help, I don't really know the laws in America, but I would advise getting in contact with a law body.

Hello-

Thank you for your insight! I did not agree to any name change and her name is my surname on the birth certificate. My lawyer thinks they can make me hyphenate it, but I would like to fight it!
    soul2squeeze Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 10:57 AM
    If your Lawyer thinks that, then that will probably happen... I would get a new Lawyer
    I used to work in a Law Firm, and if you get a good enough attorney, he/she will get whatever u need done... without hesitation
    KaishaJayne Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Feb 11, 2007, 12:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bananagirl
    Hello-

Thank you for your insight! I did not agree to any name change and her name is my surname on the birth certificate. My lawyer thinks they can make me hyphenate it, but I would like to fight it!

If you didn't agree to that it says, then what is written is rubbish and surely you can fight for that. If your lawyer does think that, then research into getting someone who WILL fight your case and knows what you want :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Yellow stains on child's teeth [ 18 Answers ]

My daughter aged 7 has yellow stains on both front teeth. She lost her baby teeth quite young and now has 8 adult teeth. We brush teeth twice a day but this has made no difference. She is an active healthy girl but doesn't eat much in way of vegetables. She does like her fruit though. Any...

Unwanted name child's change [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm having a problem with my ex wanting to change my son's last name to to her new husbands my ex and I don't talk any more dew to allot of different reasons I don't have parental wrights for him and it looks from all the info I have read that there isn't much I can do to stop her any help on...

Devistated by child's actions [ 1 Answers ]

My partners son has conduct disorder, as has been putting us through hell with the lying, cheating, stealing, tantrums, hurting people and animals, etc... etc... NOw, he has topped the lot. I have been charge with hurting him. He told the school I tried to strangle him, then dragged him around...

Child's name change [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my husband want my son's name changed to our last name but the biological father did not sign paternity papers or the birth certificate does he have to be notified and how do we begin the process?

View more questions Search