Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hannah f Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Dec 4, 2011, 10:08 PM
    Its been 5 months since we broke up, why can't I get over him?
    Me and my ex broke up 5 months ago. There are some days where I feel like I'm getting over him and I don't even think about him. But then there are other days where I can't stop thinking about him and I miss him so much. He doesn't want me back and I don't want him back. I just miss being in that relationship.

We were together for 2 and a half years and I miss being with him. He was the best thing that's ever happened to me. What's really getting to me is the fact that our would have been 3 year anniversary is on December 6th and it hurts knowing I won't be celebrating that day anymore. Its also the day after my birthday. I can't even put a smile on my face for my birthday because I know that the anniversary is coming up the next day.

I just want to stop thinking about my ex and be able to move on. I have a job, I go to school. So keeping myself busy isn't the problem. Its about letting go and moving on. I'm talking to other guys and trying to move on but its really hard. What else can I do?
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Dec 4, 2011, 11:18 PM
    "he doesn't want me back and i don't want him back"

Read that one back to yourself. A few hundred times, until it sinks in.

There you go.

Its not a crime to think about our exs. But, look at it this way.
    You've survived 5 months w/o him.

You've already moved on. Keep it up. Those thoughts are just a hiccup.
    Excuse yourself. And don't live on past dates. Hes not thinking about them.

Just you & your head.

Make your next anniversary a year not being with him.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Dec 5, 2011, 03:59 AM
    Two and a half years is enough time to get fully attached to someone, so don't worry about WHY you're not over him, just concentrate on doing so.

Tomorrow, celebrate by going out with your friends. I think you'll find you have more fun without him than with him.

And assuming I read your post correctly, happy birthday!

X Dani
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Dec 7, 2011, 03:25 PM
    Hope you had a happy birthday, despite being reminded of what you had and lost.

Take a lot longer that 5 months to completely get over an ex that was in your life almost 3 years. You are just sad that this is your first birthday without him is all.
    LuckyChucky13 Posts: 41, Reputation: 13

Dec 8, 2011, 03:00 AM
    'He was the best thing that's ever happened to me'. I think that one line says it all. Until you accept the fact that he is no longer a part of your life and believe (truly believe) that you'll one day meet another person who will be more of a best thing that will happen to you, you will continue to miss him. It's natural, it's human and it's a part of letting go. Don't beat up yourself over it. I don't have the slightest clue why you broke up, but in saying that you don't want each other back you're saying that you have both made that decision once and for all. Accept that and let it sink in. It might take another 5 months, but time is your best friend.

A part of you may want him back (secretly, it's OK to admit it), and honestly, no one knows what the future holds, and he may very well come back into your life when you least expect it, but in the meantime enjoy each day you live, because you can't get back any minute lost.

Good luck hanna.
    sgary Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 11, 2012, 12:14 PM
    I am going through this too with someone that I met shortly after New Year’s, and I was with for about 2 months up until a month ago.

Here it is a month later, and I still think of the person I was with, even there has been no contact since the time we broke up.

Deep down I believe they were a good person, however they had some depression issues. Since we broke up, I learned that they were going out and meeting different people while we were together, and recently I found out they are back with their alcoholic ex.

Defiantly a mess, that I am glad I am not part of, I just miss the good times we did have together, but I guess in time this will be behind me as well.

If you live alone like I do, it’s hard to let go of someone who was part of your life and around most of the time, even when we know it is for the best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What do I do I was with my boss for 11 months and he's just broke up with me [ 8 Answers ]

I have been with my boss for 11 months now he has a girl friend and a child that he lives with, he's just broke up with me he said he carnt do it on his girlfriend any more because he's scared in case she takes him and leaves , but he is still txtin me all the time and ringing me and when were in...

My first Boyfriend of 6 months broke it off with me. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I am a 20 year old female and my first Boyfriend of 6 months broke it off with me 3 months ago. It was a clean split he basically said he didn't feel like he was my boyfriend and our differences didn't encourage a promising fututre. After reflecting I can agree but I still love him even...

She broke NC after almost 2 months. [ 7 Answers ]

hey guys, so, ill sum up the backstory with a few lines here: we dated for 8 months, we go to college together, I'm 21, she's 18(19 now). We got along great as good friends, same sense of humor, 2 attractive people, loved each others friends, the usual. why we didn't work: --she was...

I broke up with my boyfriend of 9 months and now I want him back! [ 5 Answers ]

:(Me and my boyfriend have been going out for about 9 months! Our relationship used to be perfect! No fighting no yelling just love. And about 2 months ago we just started arguing constantly, but we always made up!! We devoted are selfs to each other. And we were engaged for about 3 months. We...

NC broke after 8 months! [ 1 Answers ]

Well, first of all... I haven't been on the site in quite some time and I would like to take a second and say hello to Tal, Big Bird, Starbuck, Wondergirl, Altenweg, Chuff, and all of the others that helped me through my struggles. How are all of you? After 8 months of NC, my ex contacted...

View more questions Search