Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GlazedDonut05 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2007, 09:10 PM
    Get Over It
    How do you get over a crush you've had forever? I've tried everything. I've tried crushing on some other guy, I've tried not having any contact with my crush for a month. I've tried ignoring him so he would leave me alone. I flat out told him I needed time to get over him because I couldn't be friends with him right then because I couldn't get over him and he tried to give me time, but he just isn't very good at leaving me be. He constantly needs my attention, and I just can't help but glance over and then his face lights up and it's just... yeah. I seriously need help getting over him.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 9, 2007, 09:42 PM
    As wacky as this sounds, try NOT getting over it and well, maybe embracing it. I don't mean acting on it, just enjoying it... somehow? There is a saying that what we resist, persists and maybe it works for crushes too. Worth a try, perhaps. Crushes are a bit like tickling, you are relieved when they are over but its also somehow not as fun too. And no fair naming yourself GlazedDonut without bringing a dozen either! LOL
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 9, 2007, 11:30 PM
    I think embracing it is a great idea. Sometimes acknowledging our feelings helps us deal with it better.
    mason_7428 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 10, 2007, 12:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedDonut05
    How do you get over a crush you've had forever? I've tried everything. I've tried crushing on some other guy, I've tried not having any contact with my crush for a month. I've tried ignoring him so he would leave me alone. I flat out told him I needed time to get over him because I couldn't be friends with him right then because I couldn't get over him and he tried to give me time, but he just isn't very good at leaving me be. He constantly needs my attention, and I just can't help but glance over and then his face lights up and it's just.... yeah. I seriously need help getting over him.
    I agree with what these other people are saying. You should embrace it instead of ignoring how you truly feel. If you have such strong feelings for this guy, talk to him about it. There's no use in trying to give something up if you can't. So maybe you should try for a relationship with him.
    kaitou Posts: 190, Reputation: 43

Feb 10, 2007, 07:36 AM
    I don't know if this is a good suggestion, but why don't you try to be friends with him while having a crush on him? It seems like you guys are friends already. Then maybe as you get to know him better you'll like him more, or maybe you'll stop liking him. Or maybe he'll start liking you as he gets to know you.

I think you should enjoy having a crush, you'd never know what could happen next. And it's exciting and fun. As for myself when I have a crush I'm full of hope lol... and I'm just generally happy.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 10, 2007, 07:40 AM
    I enjoy the crushes I have but stay within boudaries as I'm married.
    KaishaJayne Posts: 21, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2007, 07:40 AM
    If you try to stop yourself doing something, then usually you go and do it. Like everyone has said, try enjoying having a crush, if he wants your attention, maybe something can do further?
    GlazedDonut05 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2007, 09:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlazedDonut05
    How do you get over a crush you've had forever? I've tried everything. I've tried crushing on some other guy, I've tried not having any contact with my crush for a month. I've tried ignoring him so he would leave me alone. I flat out told him I needed time to get over him because I couldn't be friends with him right then because I couldn't get over him and he tried to give me time, but he just isn't very good at leaving me be. He constantly needs my attention, and I just can't help but glance over and then his face lights up and it's just.... yeah. I seriously need help getting over him.
    I appreciate these answers, but I have been "embrassing" this crush for four years, I think I've embrassed the living crap out of it.
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2007, 10:20 PM
    So is this a "you like him/he just wants to be friends" deal?
    Looks like you're doing all you can at the moment.
    How long has it been since you've decided to end this crush or how long have you been trying?
    If being friends with this guy is not an option, and you truly want it to be over, you need to stand firm. Don't look his way and don't give in to his needs for attention. Or, try to look at him in a different aspect. For example, is his constant need for affection annoying? Do you really want an annoying boyfriend? And, Do you find it disrespectful that he's not leaving you alone after you've asked him to? Do you really want a boyfriend that's not going to respect your feelings?. don't know if it will help or not, but maybe...
    -Kae
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 12, 2007, 10:27 PM
    I have never ended a crush so there is no practical experience to offer. But I think Akae is on to something in that I bet if you actually had a relationship with this fellow, and was allowed to discover that he is mortal, throws his dirty socks on the floor or acts gross sometimes or passes gas worse than your gradfather, your feelings would soon come down from that lofty crush with a crash. Maybe think about him along those lines?

In otherwords, a crush might only survive with one foot in fantasyland.

If you stop seeing him, its been my experience that the crush only goes dormant. While that will be a real relief, it will resurrect instantly on the next encounter even if its years later.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

View more questions Search