Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tarung Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2011, 08:04 AM
    Moel kitchen faucet leaking at the base
    Hi,

I have a moel kitchen faucet leaking. I found the water dripping underneath the sink from the faucet.
    I am not 100 % sure, but I think water is leaking at the base and going inside the plate and then making it to underneath the sink.

I have attached few photos and highlighted the part which I think is leaking. Water eventually makes it to under the sink. Can anybody confirm if the source of leak under the sink is from up top (base) and how should I go about it.

1st photo is the photo of the faucet. I have highlighted in yellow the area where water is coming out when I turn on the faucet.

2nd Photo shows underneath the sink where the water is leaking from.

Any help will be really appreciated.
    Attached Images

massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 19, 2011, 08:25 AM
    Hi Tarung

It should be easy enough to clean the area of the base of the faucet super dry and then apply a small bead of clear silicone all around the base of the faucet to stop the leaking underneath.

To stop the leak at the top, contact MOEN via 1800BUYMOEN and email them your pictures. They will send you some new ORINGS to install (or even other parts) free of charge, including shipping as moen has a lifetime warranty on all faucets... ;)

Mark

Nov 19, 2011, 08:59 AM
    Thanks Massplumber. I will try both the suggestions. I tried looking up the model on moen site but could not find the exact one. This was the closest one I could find http://www.moen.com/replacement-parts/product?product=IMGLIB:CA87004

I am hoping Moel customer service helps in identifying the correct model.

Thanks

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 19, 2011, 02:15 PM
    You can't identify it because they probably don't make that model anymore. Moen will know exactly which faucet that is... great customer service department!

Good luck!

PS It looks like a faucet that was made back in 2003 +/- when the brass and chrome combo. Was real popular.

Nov 29, 2011, 06:24 PM
    Hey Mass plumber

I received the part from Moen. It includes plastic washer, a rubber o-ring, and a brass ring and also some grease.

I tried looking the exploded view of the faucet (http://www.moen.com/shared/pdf/87400pt.pdf) and have the following questions.

1. How do I open it. I have attached a picture. I am thinking that I have to unscrew the highlighted part.
    I am assuming once I have it open, I can see the 3 parts which Moen sent me and replace them with new parts.
    2. where does the grease go.

Thanks
    Attached Images

Senior Plumbing Expert

Nov 29, 2011, 06:29 PM
    Sounds right... may need a STRAP WRENCH to loosen that nut (see image).

The grease goes on the new oring and I like to spread a light coat on the inside of the valve where the oring will mate to the well of the valve.
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I repair Kohler K-16101 faucet leaking at the base? [ 0 Answers ]

The hot water side of my Kohler Revival faucet became harder to turn 6 months ago and has since developed a steady slow leak at the base of the escutcheon/skirt that sits below the handle and covers the valve. Water sometimes also drips from the top of the skirt. I installed this unit myself in...

Kitchen sink faucet is loose at base and has little water pressure... [ 1 Answers ]

My Kitchen sink's faucet is loose at the base and when I turn it on it has very little water pressure. Makes it hard to wash dishes. Does anyone know what it could be? If it gets tightened will the water pressure come back or could it be two separate issues?

Faucet leaking from the base [ 4 Answers ]

Hi I have one of those dial faucets in our bathroom, and it seems to be leaking from the base of the faucet, where it sits on the back of the sink. There are no leaks on the underside of the vanity. It just leaks on the upper side of the sink, under the faucet, which tells me it is leaking within...

Faucets, Plumbers Putty, leaking faucet base, Silicon [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I installed my faucet base with silicon and now it has a small leak. I am unsure what how to fix it. Should I be using plumbers putty instead of silicon? Is silicon better than plumbers putty? I have been recommended the silicon over the plumbers putty. The only issue is the base...

Older Kohler leaking at base of Kitchen Spout. Got off but can't get apart [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a 15 year old Kohler 2 handle kitchen sink that's leaking around spout base. I took the spout off and there's a valve looking thing loose up in the handle. It appears that it once screwed into the base of the faucet assy (the water pressure has always been bad at this sink). It looks...

View more questions Search