Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hallberg Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2004, 10:16 PM
    Water leaking out of shower head.
    When I pull the diverter valve up the shower works fine, then I push it down I get a continuous stream of water out of the shower head. If I don't turn the shower on it takes about 2 minutes. For the water to get to the shower head while I am filling up the bath. Could this be a bad diverter valve?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 2, 2004, 06:00 AM
    Shower
    What type of diverter do you have? On the tub spout? Coming out of the wall? It sounds like you have some trash or debris lodged in the diverter flap preventing it from closing. Pull it out and clear it or if it's on the spout just replace the entire spout. Regards, Tom

Nov 2, 2004, 04:55 PM
    Shower
    It is on the spout coming out of the wall. It closes fine but when I open it to fill the bath tub the water continues to trickle out of the shower head, almost as if the spout is not big enough to accomidate all of the water that is coming out. Do they make different sizes of spouts? It seems that a bigger one would help? Thank you for your help.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2004, 08:10 AM
    Diverter problem
    Spouts are inexpensive to replace and come in two types. A chrome over brass screw in type and a chrome coated plastic one. It's easy to tell the difference, look underneath at the back bottom of the spout. If there is a small square hole there then it's a plastic spout on a 1/2" copper pipe secured by a allen head set screw. If it has no square hole then it's a metal screw on type on a 1/2" brass nipple. You can check the diverter for trash or debris or simply replace it. Good luck, Tom

Nov 3, 2004, 08:17 AM
    No Trash
    I checked the valve and there is no trash. There is 2 different styles but is there different spout openings where the water comes out of the spout? I have 1/2" copper pipe out of the wall and water flows freely without getting to the shower head. When I put the spout back on is when the water makes it up to the shower. Almost as if there is to much water pressure? Thank You for your help.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 3, 2004, 08:26 AM
    Spout
    They only make plastic spouts in one size. The good news is that they don't cost as much as metal ones. If your shower diverter worked up until a while ago I would simply replace the spout and your problem's solved. Most hardware and Home Depot carry replacement spouts. Since yours is the most common one used it shouldn't be a problem to locate. Cheers, Tom
    dgordon1979 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2005, 11:44 AM
    I found a great website for discount shower heads, but it also has a great support section with step by step pictures and instructions on fixing shower head leaks.

www.showerstore.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hot water in the shower until shower head installed [ 6 Answers ]

I have hot water in all my other faucets/showers. I also have hot water at the particular shower with the problem as long as a shower head is not installed. When I install the shower head, the water is lukewarm. Any ideas for the source of the problem, and how to fix?

Water from my Shower Head [ 1 Answers ]

OK... I have a bathtub spout with a diverter on top. I pull up the diverter and water is diverted to the showerhead. But, when the diverter is down, some water still comes from the showerhead continuosly. I unscrewed the spout to check it. While the spout was removed, I turned on the water and some...

Water not flowing through shower head [ 2 Answers ]

I have moved into a new flat and my shower is not working. There is a cylinder-shaped part between the two taps that I can move up and down (presumably moving it in one direction is supposed to activate the shower) but the water continues to pour out of the bath taps. What do I need to do to get...

Leaking diverter valve and shower head [ 1 Answers ]

I have a leak in my tenants apt. (2 family house). I do not know when it started, found it when they moved out. Water was leaking continuously from the shower head... the diverter valve knob is missing and if you use a screwdriver, you can "divert" the leak from the shower head to the faucet. It...

No Hot Water in Shower Head [ 4 Answers ]

Hi everyone! I'm at a loss with this one. I have hot water coming out of the bathtub tap when the Moen valve is set to the hot position. However, when I try to use the shower, the hot water coming out of the shower is almost the same temperature as on the full cold setting on the Moen valve. I...

View more questions Search