Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miguelito3218 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2007, 09:05 PM
    Half inch feeding hotwater heater: 2 baths
    Tom,
    I know your supposed to bring 3/4" lines for water to new bathroom, then branch off in 1/2 inch.

But, but inlet water to water heater comes in at 1/2" and feeds my bathroom and kitchen on half inch, at least for the hot water.

I am tappin off the water inlet to the water heater, and also the hot water out for the new bathroom.

Question is: should I run a 3/4 line off the 1/2" mains, and then branch off into 1/2" again at my fixtures, in anticipation of re-plumbing my mains in the future to get a 3/4" feed? or just run my new bathroom all in 1/2"? Thanks.
    nick_mathew Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 01:04 AM
    What kind of water heater younar using? Tankless type or tank type. Water Heater are designed with their port, ussually calculated for their capacity. I believe you should stick to 1/2". by increasing your pipe to 3/4" doesn't help, it only dampens pressure, reducing it. I think its not a problem with 1/2", in case you wanted remodelling, you can use circulating pump to increase your output, in case you are using a tank type. Have a nice day.
    miguelito3218 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2007, 06:42 AM
    It's a regular 30 gallon tank with 3/4" inlets, but it was reduced to 1/2". I think I will stick to the 1/2". Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 8, 2007, 07:35 AM
    "Question is: should i run a 3/4 line off the 1/2" mains, and then branch off into 1/2" again at my fixtures, in anticipation of re-plumbing my mains in the future to get a 3/4" feed? Or just run my new bathroom all in 1/2"?"

Nick was correct when he advised, "I believe you should stick to 1/2". By increasing your pipe to 3/4" doesn't help, it only dampens pressure, reducing it."
    He was not when he said," i think its not a problem with 1/2", in case you wanted remodelling, you can use circulating pump to increase your output."

You can not increase volume by adding a recirculating line. You simply can not get more volume out of a system that you put into it.

There would be no reason to increase to 3/4" after you've choked it down to 1/2".
    Code mandates that no more then three fixtures be supplied off a 1/2" branch, However my 1950's house is supplied with 1/2" and it's not been a problem for two of us that live here so I'm not condemning it. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hotwater heater [ 3 Answers ]

Hot water heater want ignite. What could be the problem? Pilot light is on but no ignition.

Hotwater heater HELP! Fast please [ 2 Answers ]

We have well water, today we lost all the pressure and we got no water. We would just turn the handle on in the kitchen or bathroom and nothing would happen. Well he wife had her dad come over to fix it, I don't know what he did but after he left we had water. Now, later on in the night I get ready...

Hotwater heater [ 2 Answers ]

Water comes out of my over flow copper tube. What do I need to do to fix it?

Hotwater heater wiring problem [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... My dad just replaced their 1970's hot-water heater with a brand new one. He used the same wire as the old water heater, he added a 30 amp double pull breaker at the breaker box, however it throws the breaker, unless he un-hooks the ground wire? There are 3 colors of wire on the "original" ...

My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua has potty problem! [ 3 Answers ]

Hello my My Half Dachshund Half Chihuahua is a great dog but when it comes to the potty he is not good. He is let outside every hour but sometimes he pees in the house. I stay with him outside for 30 minutes and let him inside. I have no solution what should I do? :confused:

View more questions Search