Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amberlie3318 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 12:01 PM
    Signing over rights to a child
    When I had my daughter, my boyfriend at the time was not the baby's father. He knew this and still signed the birth certificate. I was okay with this at the time. Several months later our relationship took a bad path... We are now splitting up and he will willing sign over his right or sign his name off. I want his name off the birth certificate or him to sign over all rights. I want this because I'm afraid if he gets mad in the future at me he may try to see her or get visitation. The real father won't have anything to do with her and that's okay with me. My ex said he didn't want to go through a bunch of court stuff or dna testing. How can I go about doing this?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2011, 12:05 PM
    The ONLY way is to get DNA testing, prove he's not the father, go to Court and ask that his name be removed. And, yes, at this point if he wants custody or visitation he is recognized as the legal father and will get those rights.

Unfortunately "Court stuff" will need to be involved.
    amberlie3318 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 12:15 PM
    OK. Well he won't do the DNA test. There is no way he is the child's father and he says he just don't see the point.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 8, 2011, 12:38 PM
    I understand HE doesn't get the point.

Here's the Court's position.

When you sign the birth certificate you sign that you are the natural father. If you read the tiny print you will see it's a crime to list a father when you know that person is NOT the father. But he signed.

Now he's changed his mind.

In order to get his name removed he needs to have a DNA test. You, for that matter, could file for child support against him. If you go on some sort of public assistance the system CAN AND WILL pursue him.

If he's smart he'll have the DNA testing done. Of course, if he was smart he wouldn't have lied when he signed the birth certificate.

EDIT: On your other thread you're the "Daddy" with a whole other problem. Which is it? You're the mother, you're the father, there's something else going on? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/family...on-610522.html I've already ruled out a lesbian relationship on the other thread due to the use of the word "Daddy."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Signing over rights of a child and adoption [ 1 Answers ]

If I'm willing to sign my rights over to my child and agree to let another person adopt what is the first action?? I live in Oklahoma and she and my child live in Texas but the child was born in okla.and goes through okla. Dhs for child support ?

Signing over rights of a child in indianapolis [ 5 Answers ]

The baby isnot born yet and I'm not sure even if its mine... but anyhow I don't wnt nothing to do with the baby or the mother... so if I wanted to sign over my rights would I have to still ay child support

Child support and signing over rights [ 2 Answers ]

My husband has an ex-wife that says he can sign over is legal rights, but we have to start the paperwork. What the heck papers do we need? Where do we begin. Everyone knows she isn't his, but he pays child support because his names on the because.so what do we do? Where do we begin? Thank...

Signing over legal rights to child [ 5 Answers ]

My husband wants to sign over all legal rights to me so he doesn't have to pay child support he has not attempted to see her she is 6 weeks old we are not in contact and live in Ohio

Child support/ signing over all rights [ 6 Answers ]

My brother has a three year old daughter that he is not aloud to see. Or let me rephrase that, the mother of the child does not allow him to see her. They have been to court numerous times about child support and visitation. Well now time has passed niether one of them is obeying the law. He...

View more questions Search