Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DarrenM75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2011, 01:56 AM
    Water leak in cavity wall when there is wind driven rain.
    Hi there,

Every winter when there is wind driven rain I get a steady drip drown my cavity walls pooling on the floor of my integral garage. I've had numerous different roofers etc in to repair and none have found the solution ( but plenty of bills) to this problem. Does anyone have a similar problem or has an idea where and how the water may be ingressing into the cavity wall.

All help and viewpoints welcome

DarrenM
    Richthepro Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Nov 8, 2011, 05:00 AM
    If you have windows on the wall that leaks make sure you caulk all cracks and openings. Driving rain can force water into the smallest crack around windows. If you have storm windows on the wall, check the drain holds in the bottom of the storm windows are not clogged with dirt of old paint. The other issue may be the pitch of your roof, if your roof is a slight pitch or near flat pitch wind sometimes causes a damning effect on the roof, another problem could be your gutters overflowing, the best way to find the problem is be outside when it is happening and look for water flowing on the side of the building.
    DarrenM75 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 8, 2011, 03:39 PM
    Rich,

No issues with the Pitch of the roof. I will check out the gutters and around the window. There is a window directly above the leak path!. but there was nothing obvious on any previous checks.

Thanks for the reply

Darren
    SpringtimeHomes Posts: 78, Reputation: 12

Nov 13, 2011, 05:10 PM
    Sounds like the window for sure. Could be faulty flashing or the window unit itself. Its generally good practice to NOT caulk the bottom of the window to allow water a path to escape. I would start with removing the siding and checking the flashing details. Might have to remove the window, create a sloped sill and properly flashing it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water noise from wall cavity when it rains? [ 1 Answers ]

I can hear water noise in my cavity only when it rains. I can not see any tile damage to the roof. Has anyone got any idea what it could be. Colin

1992 Honda accord rain water leak on floor [ 3 Answers ]

Thank you all so much for helping with the last problem. Here is a new one for you. When it rains out, the car leaks water on the drivers and passenger side floor mats. You can see where the moisture collects on the firewall. I have not tried the water hose check on it yet. I was just wondering...

Mystery water in basement, no rain.from neighbors or house sewer leak? [ 1 Answers ]

Townhouse ~100yo in the city with house plumbing/sewer line 50-100yo. Previous owner remodeled house 30 years ago but do not think that the plumbing has been updated. DESCRIPTION: ~1in water puddling 3ft by 3 ft in different corners(diagonal to each other) of basement(on each side of townhouse)....

Wiring in cavity wall [ 9 Answers ]

I'm going to running wire within a twelve inch wide concrete cavity wall. The exterior concrete faces are two inches wide, with each face having two inches of polyiso insulation bonded to it. So eight inches are used up. The middle four inches is where the wiring will go. Plastic outlet boxes are...

View more questions Search