Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GinaLanc Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2007, 10:24 AM
    Will air conditioner work if heating furnace is out?
    Our propane heat furnace is no longer working and needs to be replaced. Will the air conditioner part of a central air/heat still work if we decide to use something other than central heat?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Likely depending on what is wrong with the furnace. They share very few parts, and most of them are cheap to replace. Even the fan uses a different relay and motor windings. If the heat exchanger is severely cracked and would lose too much air, you could have somebody build a tin box to replace it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace heating upstairs, but blowing cold air downstairs [ 1 Answers ]

My records indicate that I have a Inter-City Products gas fired horizontal heating unit, model NHGE050CF01. The issue I am having is that the upstairs is heating as it should. The down stairs is blowing cold air. I have turned the thermostat down to the coldest setting and waiting 5 minutes...

Air conditioner condenser air temp [ 7 Answers ]

I was wondering if the temp coming form the outdoor condenser should be really warm, like that coming out of a furnace, or just mildly warm, like around 90. Does the temp coming out have anything to do with performance or cost? I ask this because I live in an apartment, and the downstairs...

Heating and air conditioner problems [ 3 Answers ]

I have a digital thermostat and the fan will blow out air whether it is in off position or auto. It will run a long time and shut off occasionally but come back on. I have even turned the main switch off at breaker panel and it still runs?? It blows cool air. I have just changed the filter. ...

Carrier heating/air furnace [ 1 Answers ]

We have a carrier gas furnace which is only about 5yrs old. The fan is not turning on the unit outside and it has begun making a loud noise but its working fine as far as heating the house. What could be the problem and would it cost a lot to fix. Thanks for any help.

FAN doesn't work when it's 'Auto', but works fine at 'On' in my central air/furnace [ 1 Answers ]

undefinedFAN 'On' or 'Auto'FAN 'On' or 'Auto' Hi, I have programmable thermostat connecting air condition / furnace system. Now if I turn system to 'Cool' and Fan at 'Auto', no cool air come out (compressor works, you can hear the noise). If I set FAN to 'On', life is getting better. But the FAN...

View more questions Search