Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tuna123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 02:04 PM
    My partner has depression and has finished our relationship!
    He says he wants to be on his own> He doesn't want to be with anyone.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 6, 2011, 07:00 PM
    Then let him be single, and do what ever he wants while you start doing the same.
    vanheart Posts: 2,806, Reputation: 708
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2011, 08:13 PM
    Whatever the reason, he doesn't want to be with you.

Be more concerned about you & your well-being.
    missinim Posts: 1, Reputation: 3

Oct 7, 2011, 07:43 AM
    These answers aren't entirely true, because I had to split up with my boyfriend of two and a half years, because of depression and anxiety disorders which led to eating disorders and what not, and I had to end the relationship in order to fully get myself better,that was the only reason!Its not necessarily that he doesn't like you anymore!
    tuna123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2011, 01:45 PM
    Thxs for the replies. But there is no way I can let him go through this on his own, he needs help and I'm the only one there for him. I just can't walk away and let him rot in his own little world!!
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Oct 9, 2011, 01:54 PM
    I understand your desire to help the person you care about, but sometimes one of the hardest acts of love is to let go.

If he says he needs some time alone to get his life straight, then you are helping by giving him the space he wants and needs.

Relationships, even the best of them, take work. It can be difficult to balance both a relationship and your own needs sometimes, and it is easier to sort yourself out when you do not have to focus on committing to a relationship at the same time.

Missinim is right, asking to end the relationship for mental health reasons does not mean he does not care about you or that you did anything wrong. Maybe when he can sort himself out and gets the help he needs you can resume a better, healthier relationship. Until then, listen to him and respect his wishes.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Oct 9, 2011, 09:35 PM
    Unless you are a mental help professional, you can't help him.
    You can support him by giving him the space he has asked for. Hanging on to him is not going to help him. Your wanting to hang on is about you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Partner left me due to depression. Should I fight for him? [ 9 Answers ]

After a few months of getting to know each other better, my (now ex) boyfriend and I started our relationship. Everything was fantastic. People said they had never seen him happier, he couldn't wipe the smile off his face when we where together. He had been single for a long time before we got...

Partner with depression [ 2 Answers ]

I've been with my girlfriend now for over 4 years and we have had a great relationship up to this point. She is currently going through a rough patch emotionally and has quite severe depression whish has been going on for nearly 6 monhs now. I am doing all I can to help her through this but it just...

My partner has pre and post natal depression and is bi polar [ 1 Answers ]

During our relationship (approx 2 years) it was turbulent and pre the birth of our son (at stage 3 months of pregnancy) she kicked me out of home and hated me with a passion and was going to hand over our child after 3 months of breast feeding wholly to me for full time care. We pregressed. We got...

View more questions Search