Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miguelito3218 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 12:25 AM
    Recessed light in shower, GFI?
    Hi there. I I want to put a recessed light above my shower, does it need to be gfi protected? If so, what is the easiest way to do this, since it can't be on the bathrooms regular light circuit. I was thinking switchleg out of the bathroom gfi receptacle?

Also, my panel is on the opposite side of the wall of my new bathroom, thus, all my circuits run above my bathroom, to enter the panel. Is there anything inherently wrong with this? (moisture problems, etc.)? Thanks!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 04:49 AM
    It will need GFI protection if required by the manufacturer in the instructions, which most do. Makes a lot of sense, esp if you can reach and touch the light while in the shower. If the outlet circuit is for other bathroom outlets, then cannot put the light on it, If the outlet circuit is only for that bathroom then no problem, use it to protect the light. If needed you can use a deadfront GFI, looks like a receptacle but only has the test and reset buttons, and no holes for the receptacle.

No problem with wiring running above the bathroom.

Feb 4, 2007, 10:12 AM
    Ok thanks! However, how do I use the deadfront, and a switch to control that overhead bathtub light? Thanks!
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 10:38 AM
    The switch can be on the line side or load side of a dead front GFI. The deadfront and a switch will need a two gang box, as each takes the space of one device. Or you can locate the deadfront GFI below the vanity cabinet.

Feb 4, 2007, 11:51 AM
    OK, great... so that the deadfront is not visible, I could bring power to my switch gangbox, power my switch, run a line to the deadfront, say under vanity, then to the shower light?

Or, just have the shower switch separate, and have a double gang with the shower switch and deadfront?
    Uber Member

Feb 4, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Either way that suits you is fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recessed Lighting [ 8 Answers ]

Need help with Recessed Lighting. The included picture is an electrical diagram I used in wiring up some recessed lighting. The switches used are 600w Dimmer Switches with push on/off feature. The problem is that on the center switch the dimming feature burns out consistently but I am still able...

Broan Energy Star Fan Fluorescent Light and night Lite - GFI Trips [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced and existing bathroom fanlight with a new fan/fluorescent light unit. Existing circuit is on GFI breaker. Two switches provide power to unit. Shared neutral from switches to unit. After installing unit fan was fine. Light tripped GFI. Connected circuit to breaker and fan and light were...

Recessed Lights [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to add some recessed lights above our couch. How to connect power to them when there is a second floor?

Combination shower fan on GFI [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a combination fan, light, night light shower fan in a new shower, all of which are on separate switches. The electrician pulled all three switches to the panel box. It sounds to me that I will need to install 3 GFI breakers. Will I need to have all 3 on separate GFI breakers? What...

Recessed light suddenly stop working... [ 5 Answers ]

Hi. My daughter's room has 6 recessed lights that are controlled by a dimmer switch. Today, I went to turn them on (they have worked fine up until today), we recently had new doors installed and I was spackling, and when I tried to turn the lights on, the dimmer switch wouldn't turn the light's on...

View more questions Search